Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > from pc to mac to pc

from pc to mac to pc
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2001, 02:06 PM

Hi,

I am currently a pc user but am considering moving to macs. I was wondering how difficult or easy it is to move documents back and forth between systems? I would be using word and powerpoint mostly (maybe excel) and I've read that Office X is pretty good in this regard.

Also, do you think there would be problems in general for me in converting to using macs (I'd still be using pcs).

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2001, 03:42 PM

nope, Office 2001 and Office v.X save files as .doc files. If you transfer them to ANY PC it will open. I do it all the time.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2001, 11:05 PM

typoon's right - they transfer just fine.

In my case I installed Virtual PC4/Win2K and MS Office 2K just in case. After installing Office X, I did a lot of checking (word, excel, pp,) and they read fine in VPC as well as Ofice X. I edited a few and they opened fine on my soon to be donated peecee.

RD

Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2001, 10:51 AM

Painless!!!! Works like a charm.

Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2001, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by Tiny-E:
<STRONG>Hi,

I am currently a pc user but am considering moving to macs. I was wondering how difficult or easy it is to move documents back and forth between systems? I would be using word and powerpoint mostly (maybe excel) and I've read that Office X is pretty good in this regard.

Also, do you think there would be problems in general for me in converting to using macs (I'd still be using pcs).</STRONG>
Now with OS X, Macs are more compatible than ever with PC, even on a network. As a matter of fact, Macs are more compatible with PCs than PCs are with Macs (since there is no Mac OS emulator for Windows). Read one of the many brochures that Apple puts out in computer stores or go to their website for the lowdown on how painless compatibility will be.
As for the learning curve and switching platforms in general I don't think interfaces get any easier than OS X.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

-Q-
Dec 4, 2001, 06:07 PM

I send documents from my work PC to my macs at home all the time. I've had no problems with opening any office document. Go for it!

Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2001, 07:30 PM

Miniryu,
I thought Connectix makes a mac emulator for Windows?

(Sorry, my bad. It emulates other PC os's. I can't imagine wanting to run more than one at a time.)

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: kcmac ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules