Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Connecting to a 2.4 TB File System

Connecting to a 2.4 TB File System
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2001, 06:28 PM

I'm an SA at a DTP department and we installed a 2.4 Terabyte SAN raid storage. This is "owned" by Unix servers and we use Helios to allow the Macs and PCs to connect and get files. The problem is that the Mac finder is very slow in displaying folder contents. A folder with 300 files can take 3 mins or longer to finally display versus the same folder on our older 680 GB scsi raidwhich takes seconds. Both file systems are accessed in the same manner. The other thing we noticed is that PCs are not affected. OS X also seems unaffected.

I know classic OS has a 2 TB limit (now I know...) but there was no documentation as to what to expect. Has anyone experienced this slow problem due storage size or know of any documentation, tweaks, etc.?

Your time is appreciated,
Bill

Forum Links
Forum Rules