Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Playing .avi files

Playing .avi files
Senior User
Dec 2, 2001, 07:54 PM

Hi,

I am running OS 9.2.1, and have a .avi file that I would love to play, but do not know how - any ideas?

Thanks,

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2001, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by iMacfan:
<STRONG>Hi,

I am running OS 9.2.1, and have a .avi file that I would love to play, but do not know how - any ideas?

Thanks,

David</STRONG>
It's most likely a divx movie. try divx player 1.0b10 (do a search on versiontracker)

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2001, 06:03 AM

Hi.

Also remember that you`ll need to install Microsft Windows Media player v.6.3. in order to use the Divx player. You need this specific version, not newer!
You will probably find that one at versiontracker.com too....if not, do a search under the "multimedia DV" section on this forums and you will find a link directing you to a download site.

Tom.

Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2001, 08:21 AM

I think you need the Intel Indeo Video codec for viewing .avi files. Download it here

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2001, 11:11 AM

I could be wrong, and I am not at my Mac now so I can't check for sure, but I think I've been running DivX Player with the Indeo codec disabled, and, although I've downloaded MediaPlayer 6.3, I don't launch it when I play an .avi.

I'll check it out when I get home, and away from this Windows machine.
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2001, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Storyboy:
<STRONG>I could be wrong, and I am not at my Mac now so I can't check for sure, but I think I've been running DivX Player with the Indeo codec disabled, and, although I've downloaded MediaPlayer 6.3, I don't launch it when I play an .avi.

I'll check it out when I get home, and away from this Windows machine.</STRONG>
Hi.

I`m not sure if i`ve got the Indeo codec myself, but the first time i launched the DivX player i was prompt to locate the windows media player. This only happened the first time i launched and i`ve never started the WMedia player itself....only installed it.

Strange procedure

Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules