Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > accessing iDisk through Windows NT?

accessing iDisk through Windows NT?
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2001, 03:59 PM

Can anyone out there reach their iDisk using a Windows NT workstation? I'm stuck using one at work and desperately need to get some files up to my iDisk.

I tried using a unix command-line utility called 'cadaver' (ported to NT using cygwin), but that failed with some obscure errors. Anybody know of a command-line or GUI WebDAV client for NT that will let me put a file on my iDisk?

Thanks,
Jeff

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2001, 05:35 PM

Its really easy. Just click my computer, and click the folder "web folders" in your home drive. Inside the folder is a file that says create new web folder or something. Click that, and when it asks for an address, type http://idisk.mac.com/member_name (where member_name is, enter your iTools member name). Then it'll ask you for your name and password, enter them, and it will mount the disk. Works great, i use it on the windows NT 4.0 workstations at school all the time. (though they are pieces of crap-pc) That oughtta solve your problem.

for those of you using other versions of windows, here are the directions supplied on idisk help

Opening your iDisk using Microsoft Windows

You can open your iDisk using Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows 98.

If you're using Windows 2000, open My Computer, choose Map Network Drive from the Tools menu, and click "Web folder or FTP site."

If you're using Windows 98, open My Computer, double-click the Web Folders icon, and double-click Add Web Folder.

In either case, enter the following as the location to add: http://idisk.mac.com/member_name (where member_name is your iTools member name). Use your iTools member name and password for authentication.

IMPORTANT: In addition to the standard iDisk folders, Windows reveals other files, with names that start with a period (.). (These files are normally hidden.) Do not move, delete, rename, or otherwise tamper with these files. If you do, you might lose files on your iDisk.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2001, 08:49 PM

That sounds really good gto47, but i tried this at work on Win NT 4.0 service pack 5, and it told me the server was unavailable or busy.

Do you know why this might happen??

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2001, 09:27 PM

Yeah, I tried it from a Windows 2000 machine earlier and kept getting "authentication failed" messages. I won't get to try the NT box on my desk until the morning. This does actually work for you, right?

Does iDisk try to use any ports other than 80? I'm behind a firewall at work, if this makes a difference (I thought it was an extension of the http protocol, so it shouldn't)...

Jeff

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2001, 09:44 PM

Yeah, works every time. I'm not sure what service pak it is, but i'll check when i get a chance. That could be it. I figured web folder access would be blocked, as the school is really restrictive when it comes to web viewing etc...(They use Bess) But i tried it anyway... It always works fine. I've gotten several documents of my idisk, especially maclinked appleworks files and such. They must have a firewall up for security reasons at the school, but i never noticed it being a problem for me at least. If the files arent confidential, then you might as well just put them in a public folder or webpage, then you could just type in the address and download them through the html...

Good luck guys,and report back.

-Q-
Dec 4, 2001, 01:57 PM

I just logged into my iDisk from my NT box and can upload and download fine. It must be a setting in your school firewall (although WebDAV is supposed to use common HTTP ports for data transmission)...

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2001, 03:57 PM

Its service pack 6. I have no idea what that means, but itools works on it.

Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2001, 11:27 PM

I just upgraded to service pack 6 at work, and it still doesn't work! same error! =(

lucky people who got it workin!

Forum Links
Forum Rules