Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Help! Can I Survive With OS 9.1 ?

Help! Can I Survive With OS 9.1 ?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2001, 05:35 AM

Hi. I'm returning to school so I don't have mucho bucks.

Am running a Ti400 Powerbook with OS 9.1. I'm concerned with this push towards OS X.1, etc. that I'll have to upgrade sometime in the future or be "left out". However, I am very happy with OS 9.1's stability and features and I simply can't afford to buy new software, cold, for OS X?

As an amateur in the Mac community, do you think that I can survive the next 3 yrs w/o upgrading?

I sense/fear that Apple will put out newer computers that will not be able to run OS 9 in the future and for those of us who are not rich, will be stuck with great machines but obsolete programs, ie., MS Office 2001 for Classic, not OS X.

Any advice or thoughts on this? I think OS X looks great, has many interesting features (seems to take a while to learn it) but I'm simply happy with what I have. Will I be fossilized soon?

Thanks.

mw2

Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2001, 07:41 AM

Apple better allow OS9 to run on the G5...

I'm sticking with 9.1 as long as possible, personally.

Though FCP3 requires 9.2.2... bastards.

Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2001, 06:45 PM

9.1 all the way!

I 've got 10.1 but it is partioned off and gathering dust. Too many unresolved issues to make it worthwhile to use regularly.

9.1 should age just fine.

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2001, 08:38 PM

I plan on keeping my iMac 400DVSE on OS 9 for a long time. (Lots of kids stuff on there and it is easier for me to troubleshoot right now than OS X.) My iBook has OS X. When I get a new machine (hopefully a G5) I will go all new, no classic.

Why 9.1? I have had a good experience with 9.2.1 and I am hopeful that 9.2.2 will be even better.

<SingSing>
Dec 6, 2001, 02:51 AM

It seems that OS X demands you purchase entirely new software and no pun intended, that indeed can cost a bundle. Buy your Yuppieware, forget about having OS X being compative for your ClassicWare.

Outside of a few helpful features, it seems like bloatware and massive hype. Perhaps Mac is intending to usurp Widoze and make OS X available for Wintel machines.

The usual paranoid speculations.

SingSing

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2001, 09:58 AM

Even if you do upgrade to OS X at some point, I will join the chorus of those saying stick with 9.1 as your boot version of OS 9.

I keep 9.1 on one partition for when I need to boot into 9. Fast, stable and not cluttered with all the "classic compatibility" stuff.

I keep OS X and 9.2.1 on a seperate partition, and use 9.2.1 only for"Classic" mode, not as a bootable system. Apparently all the future updates of OS 9 (9,2,2 and beyond) aren't really focused on improving anything but "Classic" performance under OS X.

In short, I'd say, if you do upgrade to OS X, hedge your bet, and keep 9.1 around.

9.1 is the best of the good old Mac OS, in my opinion.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2001, 10:23 AM

In my opinion, OS X is like Jamaica. It's "where we want to go" , but most of us still work in the real world. Until the point where OS X apps start coming out in force, I'm going to be with OS 9 for a while. My list of apps required before making the jump forever is getting shorter, but I really have to wait until they are ALL there. Like I'm going to use Photoshop AND Quark in Classic mode!

Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2001, 10:25 AM

In my opinion, OS X is like Jamaica. It's "where we want to go" , but most of us still work in the real world. Until the point where OS X apps start coming out in force, I'm going to be with OS 9 for a while. My list of apps required before making the jump forever is getting shorter, but I really have to wait until they are ALL there. Like I'm going to use Photoshop AND Quark in Classic mode!

Forum Links
Forum Rules