Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > HELP! 9.2.2 on my Rev C iMac Boots in "Open Firmware"

HELP! 9.2.2 on my Rev C iMac Boots in "Open Firmware"
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2001, 07:02 PM

Guys, I just installed 9.2.2 on my iMac and after it first booted to a grey screen, I zapped the PRAM hoping it would be a quick fix, but now it's booting up in Open Firmware, similar to a dos/unix interface. I can only remember this happening over a year ago when I updated the Firmware on my iMac. I tried booting off the system CD, but didn't work.

Are there any commands I can put into this "Open Firmware" screen to make it go away, and in turn boot in 9.2.2!??!?

Thank you!
Let's show 'em why Macworld 2003 won't be like Macworld 2002.

APC
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2001, 08:15 PM

type mac-boot to boot in Mac OS.

If the computer continues to boot in OpenFirmware on subsequent restarts, type reset-all, and then mac-boot. reset-all zaps the PRAM and NVRAM.

Hope this helps
APC Mac-head since 1987
-- what? image signature? nah, too lazy. --

Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2001, 09:25 PM

APC...

I tried the mac-boot, and this is what it spit out at me:
DEFAULT CATCH!, code=300 %SAR0: ff81f4c8 %SRR1: 0000b030

Even after doing a reset-all, which did reset the machine, I still get that same message.

I can boot off the CD, but still can't get anywhere off the HD. When booting off the CD, I'm able to see the files on my HD, so I can at least back-up for now.

I even went as far as taking the entire iMac apart a few minutes ago, and resetting the CUDA on the motherboard.

I can't believe all this has happened after installing Mac OS 9.2.2!

Any other advice I'd most definately appreciate.

Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2001, 10:10 PM

I did some reasearch and found that this happens with iMacs (through Rev. D) that have hard drives over 8 gigs. And mine happens to be a 20 Gig Western Digital. I found these over at macfixit:

----------------------
I don't know about the instability, but I do know that the Mac OS System Software on early G3 iMacs (including the 266, I've got a Strawberry model) MUST reside within the first 8MB of the hard disk. You've upgraded yours, since the 233 came with 4GB, I think. I suspect that part of your system software keeps going past this boundary since you are moving it to the second partition. I know it's a pain, but I think you are going to have to keep both OSes on the first partition.
----------------------
Well know problem.

On an iMac 233 both 9.2.1 and OS X must be within the first 8MB on the disk.

Either put 9.2.1 and OS X in the first 6MB partition or repartition with 3 partitions (something like 2 4MB and the rest in the 3rd).

If you don't, anytime you upgrade the OS and it goes over the 8MB, you will have problems.
----------------------
I bet you've put a hard drive that's bigger than 8GB in your computer, haven't you?

All iMacs from the first model through Rev. D won't boot from a hard drive larger than 8GB if the MacOS ROM file (or Mac OS X kernel) is not in the first physical 8GB of space. For that reason, if you put a big hard drive in your computer, you MUST partition it so the first partition is smaller than 8GB, and you must install the system on that partition.
----------------------

Now I only have Classic OS installed, not OSX. Possibly someone could take me through the process of how I can partition so that pathetic Open Firmware message could go away for good. This is something I've never done before. Thank you!

Dec 5, 2001, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by PseuFighter:
<STRONG>I did some reasearch and found that this happens with iMacs (through Rev. D) that have hard drives over 8 gigs. And mine happens to be a 20 Gig Western Digital. I found these over at macfixit:

Now I only have Classic OS installed, not OSX. Possibly someone could take me through the process of how I can partition so that pathetic Open Firmware message could go away for good. This is something I've never done before. Thank you!</STRONG>
Well, its relatively easier, problem is that it requires formatting your drive, drive setup which you'll find on your installer CD can take care of this. Basically it'll ask you how many partitions, and how big, simply tell it at least 2, with the first one being 7 or so Megs, and the other(s) whatever they happen to wind up, and there you go.
Woggle
'I will not be pushed, filed, indexed, stamped, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.'-- No. 6

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2001, 10:11 AM

Before you go and format your drive, boot from a Norton CD and run Speed Disk to defrag your drive. If you also have OS X installed, make sure you have the latest version (I think it's 6.0).

The optimization routines in Speed Disk will move your new 9.2.2 system image down below the 8 MB barrier and should allow you to boot again.

Hope this helps.

-Lewis

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: lfrancis ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules