Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 Apps/Files suddenly LOCKED, unable to open files.....please help.

OS 9 Apps/Files suddenly LOCKED, unable to open files.....please help.
Senior User
Dec 6, 2001, 05:13 PM

okay I jhave three partitions os 9.2 and 10.1 on separate partitions. Using Audio apps, I still need to boot into 9.

Today, for no apparant reason, many of my OS 9 apps (Peak, Sherlock, dreamweaver, sound diver, itunes etc) have lost their unique icon, and now show up as generic apps.

If this wasn't bad enough - files that I save from the obove mentioned apps, get a generic document icon, which the system does not know how to open.

It seem the type/creator stuff is messed......

This is obviously very frunstrating as I have to maually open apps now. I cannot double click my files to launch their maker!!!

Anyone got any ideas what went so wrong?
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2001, 06:09 PM

Try rebulding the desktop. Hold down option and command buttons during startup until you get a message.

Senior User
Dec 7, 2001, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the tip... I tried to rebuild the desktop when booting from the OS 9 system - and saw the message about rebuilding my X and data partitions, but nothing about the current one...is this normal?

also, another oddity that I am getting is a blank app called classic UI appearing in the dock when I have a classic app open.

It seems like X is ravaging my simple os 9 folder - changing icons - LOCKING HUNDEREDS of files....bugger.

I have spend more than an hour today unlocking the countless files in order to uninstall these apps...talk about manual labour.

Rebuild desktop is "apple and alt - right? Is this the same in X?

ARGHHHH!!!
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

Forum Links
Forum Rules