Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > New to macs!!

New to macs!!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2001, 03:20 PM

All of my icons, under the apple menu and on the desktop for applications, have reverted back to the hand and paper icon. What did I do to make this happen, how do I restore this? I think that it started to fix this earlier, but i accidentily stoped it.

Please help,

PS. my new dual usb iBook is great, except I cannot get my airport to work in OSX.

Thanks in advance,

TiMac

Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2001, 04:05 PM

You need to rebuild your Desktop. After installing a bunch of apps, or after some time of use, its a good idea to do it as part of maintenance.

To do it, restart and hold down the Command (Apple) + Option key until you see a dialog box asking you if you're sure you want to rebuild the Desktop. Click Yes, and you'll be all set.

Jul 3, 2001, 10:28 PM

Your best bet use a program called TechTool Lite 3.0.1 it's easy to use and it's free. You can zap your memory and rebuild your desktop. You can find it at www.versiontracker.com

Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2001, 12:55 AM

Just force-quit the Finder, then hold Apple-Option.
Whenever a volume mounts you can rebuild it - loading the Finder mounts the volumes.

I prefer that to TechTool... I just don't like that program.

Forum Links
Forum Rules