Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 9.2.2 Error "Please insert the disk:"

Mac OS 9.2.2 Error "Please insert the disk:"
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2001, 09:11 AM

Hi after updating to 9.2.2. form 9.2.1, I get a message telling me to "Please insert the disk" and then the name of my hardrive (Rodz Cube) at the end of this message this is really annoying and effectivley prevents me from using any Menus in the menu bar in Mac OS 9.2.2, If I run a OS 9.2.2 only extension set (no third party extensions) then I only get this message when moving form an acctive app to the finder, and sometimers after doubleclicking the title bar of windows but the Mac OS munu bar works fine, whats going on?
P.S I've run Norton Disk Doctor, rebuilt my desktop and zapped the pram, funnily enough when I first updated to 9.2.2 everything seemed to b working fine I think, but then I rebuilt the desktop which took ages and then Zapped the Pram and since then I think the problem occurred, I need to get some work done this weekend so any help would be appreciated.
P.P.S
How/Can I downgrade to 9.2.1?

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: roders ]

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2001, 09:59 AM

Norton might not be able to sort out all your directory problems. If you can afford it, I'd get to the nearest software store, and grab a copy of Disk Warrior, ($90.00 +/-) which does the most complete job of rebuilding directories. It does seem strange that your machine would boot from the drive, then not find it to read/write to after that.

Other than that, if you want to try downgrading, you'd *probably* (caveat emptor) want to boot from a system CD (what did your Cube come with? 9.0.4?) trash the system on your hard-drive, then re-install the one from the CD. your problem may not be directly related to the OS, however.

Do you have an external drive? I keep a copy of the OS on my Firewire drive, so I can boot from it when neccessary. They're pricey, but good insurance, if you just CAN'T go down due to HD failure.

PS-- back up all your essential documents NOW! BEFORE you do anything else!

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2001, 10:13 AM

Bleh. Go back to 9.1.

To temporarily solve the problem, press Apple-. (Apple-period) to dismiss the dialog box... it may be necessary to press it repeatedly.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2001, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>Bleh. Go back to 9.1.
</STRONG>
Agreed. 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 don't add anything besides "Clasic compatibility" for OS X, and seem to just be plain weird as boot systems, esp. on Cubes, and older G4's. Don't see as many probs from the Quicksilvers using 9.2.1, but I personally hated it on my Cube. mysterious stalls when launching apps, saving files, etc. all unsolvable by any normal means.

If you do revert, stick with 9.1

If you want to use 9.2.2 for Classic in OS X, install them both on a seperate partition, or hard drive, and keep 9.1 around for booting directly into OS 9.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules