Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Burniing CD's with Long File Names

Burniing CD's with Long File Names
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2001, 10:51 PM

I usually download mp3's on my PC and then move them to my Mac for burning to CD.

On most occasions i have to rename the files down to 31 characters maximum before moving to the Mac otherwise i end up with DOS names for the files.

Is there some way i can burn the files on the Mac without having to reduce file names and so that the CD will contain mp3 files with long names?

<Ian Thompson>
Dec 22, 2001, 03:20 PM

I find that MP3 Rage is an indispensable tool for cleaning up MP3 files. It allows you to fix "everything" and in batches too. Check it out. There might be something better out there, but I'm just so chuffed with this app.

Ian Thompson
Sweden

Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2002, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by iSilver:
<STRONG>I usually download mp3's on my PC and then move them to my Mac for burning to CD.

On most occasions i have to rename the files down to 31 characters maximum before moving to the Mac otherwise i end up with DOS names for the files.

Is there some way i can burn the files on the Mac without having to reduce file names and so that the CD will contain mp3 files with long names? </STRONG>

Yeah, I hate the 30 char limit for exactly the same reasons! I like

Artist - Album - Track - Name of song.mp3

Use the Windows file system. It can have 256 characters in the filename, I believe. It's called "Joliet". The reason you're prolly getting DOS names is because you're prolly writing it using ISO9660 which all computers can read.

<daytripper>
Jan 8, 2002, 03:37 AM

Use Mac OS X and Toast 5.1.

Originally posted by iSilver:
<STRONG>I usually download mp3's on my PC and then move them to my Mac for burning to CD.

Is there some way i can burn the files on the Mac without having to reduce file names and so that the CD will contain mp3 files with long names? </STRONG>

Forum Links
Forum Rules