Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > USB Audio in OS 9??

USB Audio in OS 9??
mauty
Oct 18, 1999, 06:01 PM

Has anyone figured out whether or not full USB Audio support has been implemented in OS 9?? I can't seem to figure it out based on Apple's product literature and other sources around the web. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate your comments...

Administrator
Oct 18, 1999, 09:11 PM

from the Dev 9 Technote:

(see http://www.macnn.com/reports/os9.shtml#ref

Implements support for USB Audio Class devices, both speakers and microphones and for generic HID devices on USB speakers - volume, mute, bass, and treble adjustment.

[This message has been edited by mkbhatia (edited 10-18-1999).]

Serotonin
Jun 30, 2000, 03:50 PM

I've been struggling with USB audio since I got my new G4. It has OS 9.04, the multimedia update and the firmware update. I've finally had some success with my old Opcode DATPort, but its flaky, and I can't 'listen through' the computer when inputing digital sound via USB. For that reason I got some USB speakers, these are the Yamaha YST-MS35D's and they are even listed on Apple's USB peripherals site. Unfortunately these speakers don't work at all, it looks for a driver and doesn't find one, and I never get any USB output choice in the sound control panel.

Has anyone gotten anywhere with USB speakers on OS9, besides the iSub?

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2000, 05:11 PM

Actually yes, a friend of mine has a G4 (two) with these phillips usb speakers (3 piece), not sure what model. Well, they work, thats all I can say, and sound pretty decent (I dont think phillips makes the best sound systems).

Serotonin
Jul 6, 2000, 01:01 PM

In response to my own inquiry:

I was able to get my Yamaha YST-MS35D USB speakers working. I was suprised they didn't work out of the box seeing that Apple lists them in their product guide on the web site. What I had to do was download the USB 1.4.3 DDK, and install that. Since you have to be handy with ResEdit to make it work, its not exactly a breeze either, and I found I had to disable the "USB HID Library" extension too, after that it works.

Still, if I leave the speakers plugged in when booting the computer up, it tends to hang. What was this article I read some time ago about all the Apple audio people leaving to go to some startup company?

Forum Links
Forum Rules