Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OSX and 9.1

OSX and 9.1
dpc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2001, 01:21 AM

I was reading at Club Mac that OSX will include 9.1 -- and that you will be able to choose which version to use at start-up. Anyone know if there is a stand-alone 9.1 installer in the X package? I have a 9500 and got my Electric Image update today. Turns out it requires 9. I'd just as soon get X as well, rather than end up buying the two separately, but I don't want to install on X on the 9500.

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2001, 01:43 AM

There was a rumor not too long ago about X box coming with 3 cd's, 1 with X, 1 with 9.1 and the other with Dev Tools. If this rumor is true, then you'll get a 9.1 cd with your purchase fo X.
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

dpc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2001, 01:49 AM

So basically, I should wait and see before I order.

Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2001, 04:17 AM

Originally posted by dpc:
So basically, I should wait and see before I order.
Definitely wait... Because OSX needs 9.1 for the Classic environment (and will be somewhat dependent on it for a while because of the programs for Classic - or lack thereof for OSX), X will be shipping with OS 9.1....
dave

craigyh
Mar 8, 2001, 08:45 AM

Apple says OS 9.1 will be included with OSX.
Here's the link: http://www.apple.com/macosx/requirements/

dpc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2001, 12:19 PM

My concern is that although 9.1 is included, you won't be able to install it without installing X. I'll install X on an iMac, but I want to install 9.1 on a 9500.

Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2001, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by dpc:
My concern is that although 9.1 is included, you won't be able to install it without installing X.
The two are independent operating systems... you can install OS 9.1 without installing X... and you can install OSX without installing OS 9.1 (if you don't install OS 9.1, then you won't be able to run software written for the Classic Environment -- which is OS 9.1) SO, they can be installed independent of each other, but there are inherent benefits of installing both...
dave

Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2001, 02:49 PM

Thats the way we hope it will be - but we don't know.
They may even have the guts to give us a watered down version of OS9... not even on a seperate disc...
Time and only time will tell.

Cipher13

DreDay
Mar 18, 2001, 09:10 PM

This past Saturday (03/17/01) I saw build 78 of OS X in a demonstration. You will not have to worry. The installations are separate, and to the best of my knowledge, on two disks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules