Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes/ZipCD/USB Conflicts!

iTunes/ZipCD/USB Conflicts!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2001, 05:42 PM

Hey, all!

I used iTunes 1.0, and liked it. No problems. So I downloaded 1.1, installed it, and immediately regretted it.

I am now experiencing, for the first time ever, a USB problem with my Zip 650 CD burner. I didn't even get to TRY burning mp3s with iTunes. Now whenever the burner is plugged in, I can move the mouse, but can't click anything. When I unplug it, everything I clicked opens...it's like all the commands are queuing up and waiting until they can execute.

Annnnnyway...I turned off all the iTunes extensions, and that didn't help. I checked in with Iomega and found the extensions they say Toast needs to work, and that didn't help. I tried a duplicate base 9.0.4 with only those Iomega/Toast extensions, and that didn't help. Heck, I tried starting up with ONLY those 5 Toast extensions, and that didn't help. EVERY time the burner's plugged in, I get the weird conflict. If I plug it in before I boot up, the system reaches a point during startup where it hangs until I unplug it...then it finishes starting up just fine.

I would LOVE to just wipe out all the iTunes extensions AND all the Iomega/Toast extensions and start from scratch, but I must be missing something, because it just plain ain't working.

I'm running 9.0.4 on an iMac DV with 128 MB of RAM. Can I just re-install the OS from the CD and not lose all my data? Does anyone have any suggestions for what I'm missing or what I might try? I never had ANY USB problems until this.

I don't care if I can't get iTunes to work, but I do want to use my burner someday.

I very much look forward to your responses!!!

Thanks in advance!

--
Rev. Tim

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2001, 11:56 AM

I've got a Dual 450 G4 and a USB ZipCd. Its worked perfectly for me and now with iTunes 1.1 I can burn Audio CDs and mp3s/data using DiscBurner now.

Only thing, I can see is that you should maybe update to OS 9.1. I think it should work then. Do you have the burner plugged into a hub, keyboard or directly into the your iMac? That may also be the problem. Should be in the iMac.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2001, 08:16 AM

You have to update to 9.1 for using itunes 1.1
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2001, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestions...but I'm way more interested in getting my burner to work again than in using iTunes. Any ideas what might be causing my conflict...remember, I've already gotten rid of all the iTunes extensions and the problem still exists.

Thanks!

--
Rev. Tim

Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2001, 12:26 PM

I had a similar problem with mine, the difference is that it wasn't caused by iTunes.

now what I should do:
trash toast prefs
do you use toast 4.0.2 (or 5 of course), if you don't, you should! (the upgrade to 4.0.2 is free)
trash all iTunes stuff (since it isn't important to you and if you want it later, download it again). do not trash the new CD-player extension.

this is what I should do, but if it really helps?

-caifara
(I can only recommend 9.1)
-c

Meebo
Mar 13, 2001, 05:20 PM

I had a similar problem. The extension that seemed to cause it is "USB Authoring Support" which is installed with iTunes 1.1. Just disable this and it should work fine. (Maybe disable "Firewire Authoring Support" as well, just in case...)

Senior User
Mar 13, 2001, 08:04 PM

Hey, ReverendTim!
Check this out. http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60805
Who are the Brain Police?

Forum Links
Forum Rules