Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 9.1

Mac OS 9.1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2001, 02:00 PM

I downloaded the Mac OS 9.1 upgrade, I was previously using Mac OS 9.04, and I noticed that 9.1 isn't as stable as 9.04. Is this because it's an upgraded version, and not a purchased version (meaning I didn't install 9.1 from disk, I installed it on top of 9.04).

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2001, 03:41 PM

Maybe. Some people have used 9.1 (dowloaded version) just fine. When I first tried it, it crashed on way too often, so I downgraded to 9.0.4. About a week ago I tried it again (the downloaded version again) and it seems to be working fine.

You might try a complete reinstall of 9.0.4 then upgrade to 9.1 right away before you install your other software. Or you can just stay with 9.0.4, which I think is better anyway.
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2001, 05:01 PM

As always when doing a system upgrade or a new major version.

I back up my files and do a complete format and install of the OS upgrades clean and fresh. I have found this the best solution towards stability and a cleaner install. I would also suggest to install with the extensions off (shift at boot-up) so that none of the extensions or your vrus program is active if you have one. Next thing would be to dowbnload all upgrades to your third party applications to work with the new OS upgrade.

You could also try a clean install of the system folder...

Mar 9, 2001, 05:03 PM

I had instability problems with 9.1 also. Well, that is until I read the "read me" file and it explained that the correct way to install the downloaded update was to start up from my system cd and then perform the installation. Once I installed it that way, it worked just fine for me.
"These are not the droids you're looking for"

Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2001, 09:57 PM

I just performed the MacOS 9.1 upgrade today on my G4 Cube (450/384MB). Here is what I did for the clean install:

1. Zapped the pram
2. Booted from 9.0.4 CD-Rom
3. Initialized the hard drive
4. Installed 9.0.4
5. Without rebooting, inserted a Zip disk and installed the 9.1 upgrade from it.
6. Rebooted, holding down the mouse button to force the 9.0.4 CD to eject.
7. Configured MacOS and installed my usual software.

I have to say that 9.1 is running really well for me. I don't know what was altered by it seems very stable and snappier, particularly the Finder.

So far, Office 2001, IE5, Acrobat, and Hoyle's Board Games work with no problems.

Good luck to you!

Agent69

[This message has been edited by Agent69 (edited 03-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Agent69 (edited 03-09-2001).]
Agent69

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2001, 09:43 AM

most of times i can't do the force quit in mac os 9.1.
the sleep several times don't work.
and after i installed iTunes 1.1, the DVD player don't
work too... the DVD player says that i don't have
hardware to the dvd playback.

G4/400 AGP

------------------
Moreno | manuel.moreno@netcabo.pt

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2001, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by iMacguy:
I had instability problems with 9.1 also. Well, that is until I read the "read me" file and it explained that the correct way to install the downloaded update was to start up from my system cd and then perform the installation. Once I installed it that way, it worked just fine for me.
Therein lies the key! Follow the directions, and you shouldn't have the problems that many forum users describe.

I've usually waited for the CD to arrive, so that I could do a "clean install," but this time, I didn't want to wait, so I did the upgrade to OS 9.1 from the download, following the "read me" instructions, and it's worked great! I've had exactly one "system freeze" requiring restart, otherwise this OS has been rock-solid for me, faster than OS 9.0.4, with no problems at all! My only complaint is the every higher ram requirement for each success system update - fortunately ram is cheap now!

If you install correctly, you shouldn't have to reinitialize the hard disk, etc.

There are some update items missing from the download vs. CD versions of OS 9.1, and since the CD is now available from Apple, this would be the advisable route to update, IMHO.

iBorg

MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules