Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Why I like SoundJam better than iTunes...

Why I like SoundJam better than iTunes...
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2001, 12:49 AM

Its all about the playlists. I love the way you can click a button and make a CD, I love almost everything about iTunes, I just HATE the playlists. Going my ID3 tags just doesn't work for me. It works fine for my Full Albums, but for mixes like movie soundtracks, organizing my artist just doesn't work. Also, if a song features another artist, it may say something like "Guru Featuring Nas" which is a different artist than "Guru". Which is why I want to be able to make my groups my self, like you did in SoundJam. You make your own little folders and put whatever you wanted, where ever you wanted. That's what I want in iTunes. The ability to choose a different kind of playlist organization, one that allows me to have much much much more control over it. Something like making folders, and using apple's new file selector so browse them above the actually palylist area, instead of using the 'artist based on ID3 tags' method they have now.

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2001, 02:11 AM

Good point, but also, the lack of an equalizer. This has been well mentioned I know, but it's still a major downfall of iTunes for a lot of "prosumers" and "pro" customers.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

<OverclockedG5>
Jul 22, 2001, 09:30 AM

The only thing keeping Sound Jam on my hard drive is the EQ. Too bad Apple neutered SJ when they made it into iTunes. Apparently Apple thinks that only idiots use their computers and idiots can't figure out an EQ. This is one thing I hate about Apple...they often "dumb-down" their products too much, so that functionality is lost for the sake of an easy interface. There is the old saying, "make something even an idiot can use, and only idiots will use it". Sadly, iTunes falls into this category.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2001, 12:31 PM

And another thing...
Dock space is precious enough, I'm sure they can SOMEHOW fine a way to combine the iTunes dockling and iTunes app in the Dock. Even if they have to make invisible windows with the names play, pause, etc.. that when selected would perform given task.

Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Jul 27, 2001, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by l008com:
<STRONG>Its all about the playlists. I love the way you can click a button and make a CD, I love almost everything about iTunes, I just HATE the playlists. Going my ID3 tags just doesn't work for me. It works fine for my Full Albums, but for mixes like movie soundtracks, organizing my artist just doesn't work. Also, if a song features another artist, it may say something like "Guru Featuring Nas" which is a different artist than "Guru". Which is why I want to be able to make my groups my self, like you did in SoundJam. You make your own little folders and put whatever you wanted, where ever you wanted. That's what I want in iTunes. The ability to choose a different kind of playlist organization, one that allows me to have much much much more control over it. Something like making folders, and using apple's new file selector so browse them above the actually palylist area, instead of using the 'artist based on ID3 tags' method they have now.</STRONG>
so, you just want multiple playlists? You know that button in the lower left corner of the iToons winow is for making new playlists, don't you?

My big beef with iToons is the equalizer, and more than that, just a treble/bass control(!) Does anyone know of a way to get the Arboretum Realizer audio plug-in to work with iToons?
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2001, 12:41 AM

I need more than multiple playlists, if you could put folders in that left column, I'd be very happy. I've also become so addicted to the ease of use of the iTunes dockling, that despite all said here, i have pretty much given up on soundjam. :-p oh well, bite me!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2001, 10:33 AM

I wish iTunes had the equilizer like SoundJam. I loved SoundJam and I could have my music sound perfect. If SoundJam had the ability to burn CD's, I'd use it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules