Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Command-Q in app = Logout?

Command-Q in app = Logout?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 1999, 10:09 PM

I've run across a problem and was wondering if anyone else was experiencing it. When I am in an application and hit Command-Q to quit, this also triggers multiple logout dialog boxes to pop-up in the Finder if the Finder is the application previously selected.

For example, I'll click on the desktop, then click on a Navigator window. Hitting Command-Q quits navigator, the Finder is made the active app, and two or three logout dialog boxes pop-up.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Partridge
Oct 25, 1999, 02:37 AM

A bit of work with ResEdit will remove the offending command Q shortcut for logout:

The Command Q shortcut for Logout is stored in STR# ID 15100 of the "Multi-User Startup" Extension, which is located in the "Extensions" folder

String 7 reads: Logout/Q
Change it to: Logout to remove the command key equivalent.
Or put some other Character after the slash to use that instead.
You'll need to Restart before the change will propagate to all the users. I ran this edit directly on the running extension with no untoward consequences.
Your results may vary...

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 1999, 09:55 PM

You can do what Partridge did but I would work on a Copy. Also you could Run TechTool Pro 2.5.1 and see if it fixes it
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Partridge
Oct 27, 1999, 02:41 AM

Yes, using a copy is the sane way to do it ! I only wanted to point out that the process is NOT as flaky as trying to use ResEdit on the System or Finder.
TTP wont fix the problem since it's a "feature" of a normal System.
-With "Features" like this, who needs windows ? ! ! !

Josuah  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 1999, 07:23 PM

A bit of work with ResEdit will remove the offending command Q shortcut for logout:
I used to tweak System 7 this way, but I think any sort of tweaking tends to make things a bit unstable. Either that, or System 7 was just plain unstable and it was coincidence that my tweaking coincided with instability. ???

It was cool having a nuclear waste canister for my trash can though

[This message has been edited by Josuah (edited 11-01-1999).]

Partridge
Oct 29, 1999, 06:39 PM

There are lots of tweaks you can do safely, the trick is knowing which ones....

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 1999, 09:30 PM

I'm running under OS 9 on a beige Power Mac G3/266, and I was experiencing the same "pass through" effect with Cmd-Q in several common applications. In my case, the cause *appears* to have been the "OSA Menu" extension; disabling it eliminated the problem.

I've even tried the latest version (1.2) but the same symptom still occurs on my machine. I've sent an email to the author, Leonard Rosenthol (of Stuffit Deluxe fame, among many others). He can be reached via the email links on his website (http://www.lazerware.com). Perhaps he can shed some official light on the issue.

[This message has been edited by MacCanada (edited 11-12-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Paul Crawford (edited 11-12-1999).]

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 1999, 08:40 PM

Hi all:

Just FYI, Leonard Rosenthol has indicated via email that it looks like there's a bug in the Multiple Users feature, which triggers this behavior with certain applications (especially when the OSA Menu extension is active). For example, the behavior might typically occur with Eudora Pro, Netscape Communicator or Tex-Edit Plus, but not with GIFConverter, Script Editor or SimpleText. Leonard has implemented a workaround, in OSA Menu 1.2.2, that may resolve the issue for some affected applications.

Jan 25, 2000, 08:26 AM

I believe that I can confirm that it's the combo. of OSA extension and multiusers that is the issue. I have OS9 on 2 machines, and I ONLY see this quit behavior on the one with OSA menu installed. I'll have to try the latest version...

Forum Links
Forum Rules