Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Pointing to a system folder to boot?

Pointing to a system folder to boot?
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2001, 11:27 AM

Could someone point me to a "how-to" on upgrading OS'?

Here is my problem. I tried to upgrade to OS9.1 from OS9.0.4. I copied the entire 9.0.4 System Folder before attempting the upgrade to a "Backup System Folder". When the upgrade when south, I wanted to revert to the backed-up system folder as the "boot" image. How do you tell the operating system to boot from a different system folder than the current one? Is there a way to "install" another folder as the one the system should boot from?

Senior User
Mar 16, 2001, 12:06 PM

You'll know which system folder is going to boot becasue the System Folder (MacOS Logo) will be displayed. In 9.1 the new startup disk can allow you to select a particular system folder, but since you're in 9.0.4, it won't work... Take BOTH finders out of their "System Folder" but the 9.1 Finder back in FIRST, and then return the 9.0.4 finder. The 9.1 System folder should now have the MacOS logo.

Forum Links
Forum Rules