Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apple audio extension crash ??

Apple audio extension crash ??
Mr_Frost
Mar 16, 2001, 07:46 PM

Yesterday my computer crashed at startup. Something about an "apple audio extension"? After reset everything worked fine. Is this bad or ....?

Senior User
Mar 16, 2001, 11:43 PM

I've been having difficulties too. Audio Ext 1.2.2. Crashes during restart about once a week. Also had a couple MacsBug popups during compiles or runs of classwork that claimed to be caused by Audio Ext as well. Seems to not like going to sleep while iTunes is open a whole lot either.

Not a consistent problem but getting more irritating. I've reinstalled the little bugger a couple of times and it usually is fine for the 2-3 days following but then back to infrequent freezes/startup crashes.

Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2001, 02:19 AM

Did you have a beta of QT5 installed?
If so delete the Sound Manager extension and replace it with an earlier version.

Cipher13

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2001, 08:20 AM

Mr_Frost,

What is the language of your Mac OS? If you are using the French version, for example, you will need to disactivate your extension "Gestionnaire de son" from the system and allow the extension which is installed with the latest QT to take over.

WMG

Mr_Frost
Mar 17, 2001, 09:30 AM

No...I use a dutch system but I guess that will be the problem...thank you

Senior User
Mar 18, 2001, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the tip Cipher, I'll give it a try.

Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2001, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Mr_Frost:
Yesterday my computer crashed at startup. Something about an "apple audio extension"? After reset everything worked fine.
I had the same problem. (on a powerbook OS 9.0.4)
I think it was because of my usb mouse. Occasionally, when i would wake the computer from sleep with the mouse connected, the audio extension would fail.

As for the iTunes problem, delete your iTunes preferences and try again, fixed that problem for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules