Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacALLY 2bttn, OS 9, InputSprockets

MacALLY 2bttn, OS 9, InputSprockets
TheDude
Oct 26, 1999, 10:49 PM

I've upgraded to Mac OS 9 and the existing InputSprockets 1.7.2 doesn't work with the MacALLY 2-button ADB mouse. It loads up the driver for the Trackball, and it makes it so I can't click anything. It acts as though the mouse button is constantly down. Having my Gravis FireBird II plugged in to the ADB port or not doesn't matter. Having the Gravis extensions enabled doesn't matter. Having the "macally Inputsprocket" extension, which has been at version 1.0d1 and never been updated by MacALLY, enabled or not doesn't matter. Renaming the "macally Inputsprocket" to the appropriate "InputSprocket MacALLY" doesn't matter. I have the 2-button option selected in the PointDevice control panel with the default setting to both buttons being single-click, and both the "Point Device INIT" and the "PointDeviceDaemon.2m" extension are enabled. I've even tried putting the now-defunct "macally Inputsprocket" into every game folder with the hopes they will look for a dynamic library there first, as all good apps are
supposed to do. No luck with any of it. I can't even use my Gravis FireBird II because I can't use the current mouse to pick another InputSprocket driver from within a game. I guess I shouldn't have sold my one-button Apple Desktop Bus Mouse II? Please help with any know workarounds or news of an upcoming fix! I've contacted MacALLY but they haven't responded.
Mike Stitzer

Professional Poster
Oct 27, 1999, 03:48 AM

I would try downgrading to the 1.4.1 versions (OS 8.6) of input sprockets...

hey ya never know.

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 1999, 03:48 PM

This little tidbit rom MacFixit might offer a solution:

Alessandro Levi Montalcini (author of USB Overdrive) writes:
I just discovered a nasty USB InputSprockets problem in Mac OS 9.0 after I was notified by a few users that my USB Overdrive was disabling InputSprockets support under the new OS. Apparently Mac OS 9.0 was mistakenly compiled using wrong values for two routine selectors, both in the built-in InputSprocket drivers and in the USB software that they rely upon. This disables many 3rd party InputSprocket drivers, and prevents the USB Overdrive 1.2 from working with the Mac OS 9.0 built-in InputSprocket drivers.
The reason why there were not too many complaints so far is that Mac OS 9 supports all unknown devices using a generic HID InputSprocket, but this is usually not as good as the vendor-provided drivers because the buttons do not visually match the physical device layout. For example, the Thrustmaster Fusion game pad will show up in the InputSprockets configuration window as "USB Gamepad" under Mac OS 9.0 instead of "TM Fusion Gamepad". This means that the generic driver is being used instead of the custom one.
The good news is that you can re-enable nonfunctional 3rd party InputSprocket drivers by installing the USB Overdrive 1.2 (which uses the right values for the selectors), and I'm already working on a fix to allow it to work with the built-in drivers as well. The only problem I have right now is that I do not know if Apple will revert back to the correct values or change the headers to turn the mistake into an official change. To sum it up, here's what you can do with the current software:

* If you have an InputSprocket driver for your device that no longer shows up in the InputSprockets dialog, and you don't like the generic driver that comes with Mac OS 9, you can install the USB Overdrive1.2 to re-enable it (and disable the built-in generic support).

* If you have the USB Overdrive installed and you can no longer access your gaming device through the built-in InputSprockets that come with Mac OS 9, you'll have to remove the "USB Joystick Overdrive" extension from your System folder. You can then unplug and reconnect your device without restarting your Mac to enable the InputSprockets, and then either move the Overdrive extension back to the Extensions folder or disable it for good if you don't need to play non-InputSprockets games.

[This message has been edited by Don Foy (edited 10-27-1999).]

TheDude
Oct 27, 1999, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the info, but that's for USB devices and I have a 2-button ADB mouse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules