Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > SETI@Home & OS9

SETI@Home & OS9
BC333
Oct 27, 1999, 11:24 PM

When "Multiple Users" other than the "Owner" is logged-in, SETI Home screen saver starts and acts as if it was just installed - asks for setup data. When the other user logs-off and the "Owner" logs-in, SETI Home starts back where the current job last finished (works normally). Have not done any further investigation but using multiple users might delay or process jobs independantly from one another depending on who is logged onto the Mac when the screen saver starts.

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 1999, 02:33 PM

Though I haven't played with multi-users at all, it sounds like the Finder makes a preferences folder for each user. SETI@Home doesn't see its settings or current work file in non-owner preferences folder and, hence, thinks its a fresh install.

The solution should be quite simple: just make aliases of SETI@homes preferences folder (the folder where it keeps the work unit, etc.) and place them in each users' personal preferences folder. That might work.

Professional Poster
Oct 28, 1999, 02:53 PM

Herr Newton is right... though I am not using OS9 yet, I do use SETI and have a somewhat wacky setup on my Mac so that SETI will run on all my HD's but from the same 'SETI@home Data' folder on one of my HD's... and further, I have that 'original' SETI@home Data folder on a RAM disk.

I aliased it throughout all my HD's in the proper places, Preferences folder, RAM Disks, etc... works like a charm. And though OS9 is quite obviously different in many ways from 8.6, I haven't read anything that would lead me to believe that this would not work on OS9, that is: Herr Newton's suggestion sounds right.

BC333
Oct 30, 1999, 06:55 PM

Herr is right, placing the alias within the other multiple user's pref folder links correctly to the source folder and currently working seti file. Note: Make sure to delete the alias suffix - name must match original seti file which was aliased.

Thanks for the tips!!

Professional Poster
Oct 30, 1999, 07:25 PM

tip: if you do a drag'n drop aliasing action, there will be no need to trim the 'alias' suffix... it won't be there...

click 'n hold 'n drag 'n drop (item to be aliased) at target folder while holding Option and Command keys down.

dirkjello
Nov 1, 1999, 08:30 PM

I was hoping that OS 9 would allow the screensaver to activate over top of the multi-user login screen (it is a screensaver, after all ... but it doesn't seem to want to do so. Anyone able to keep it active when logged out?

Forum Links
Forum Rules