Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS 9.1 Disk Corruption??

MacOS 9.1 Disk Corruption??
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2001, 09:18 AM

Anyone else having problems with MacOS 9.1 disk corruption? I downloaded the update two days ago. Yesterday I started to experience the 5 for 6 second delays between clicking a menu and it dropping down. Then this morning, the machine has become so slow it's impossible to do anything.

Ran Disk First Aid and received the following:
Checking catalog BTree.
Problem: Keys out of order, 4, 213
Test done. Problems were found, but Disk First Aid cannot
repair them.

This is bad news. Anyone else having the same problem? Reformatted the machine and it's back to new....just without MacOS 9.1. Apple hasn't responded to anything I've submitted yet and there's nothing on their site related to this problem.

-Brian

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2001, 08:11 PM

I have downloaded the update almost 3 weeks ago. I installed it according the the instructions and I haven't experienced any problems. After reading your post I ran disk first aid to make sure I did not have the same error message. The result for me was "The Volume "Macintosh HD" appears to be OK".

Sorry I don't know what caused your problem.

------------------
As a man comes, so he departs.
As a man comes, so he departs.

Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2001, 06:35 AM

Ah yes, it trashed a partition of mine - I had to DiskWarrior it to get it back.
Also, a friend has had MAJOR problems over and over - since reverting to OS9.04, those probs have gone away.
I suggest going back to 9.04, but if you really want 9.1, then get the full version.
You're not alone.

Cipher13

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 01:18 PM

I tried to upgrade to 9.1 from 9.04 using the download version. My blue-and-white G3 turned into the machine from hell -- even Quickeys would freeze the thing, and I can't live without Quickeys. I went back to 9.04. But I tried it again, this time after buying the CD and reinitializing the drive. This time, everything works, no crashes and all is right with the world.

Forum Links
Forum Rules