Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can anyone help me get into a password protected Mac?

Can anyone help me get into a password protected Mac?
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2001, 05:17 PM

The designer I work with is out of the country for 1 week and I am unable to reach him. He has his Mac setup for multi-user use and even gave me a username and password. He did not give me access to some programs and files that I need to use, however, so there lies the problem.

I need to be able to use another program and some files but I don't have his password and I don't have a way of getting in touch with him. I also don't have the Mac OS CD because that is locked in his desk (I know, this is a real comedy of errors).

If someone can help I would really appreciate it.

(I originally posted this topic with a vague title AND in the wrong forum, so that is why I am posting this again and apologize for the other topics)

Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2001, 05:45 PM

couldn't you just boot the machine with extensions disabled, remove the multiple users-related ones from the extensions folder, and then restart the machine?

-r.

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2001, 06:03 PM

I don't know.

I don't have a Mac yet, I am buying a TiPB after July's MacWorld NYC, so I am not sure how to do that.

If you give me instructions I will try and tell you how it worked .

Let me tell you this though, I do not have access on my login name to the Extensions Manager, I only have access to the programs that I use on his computer so that is my problem.

Like I said if anyone can help that would be great. I guess I always can wait until he gets back Monday.

[This message has been edited by shadybirdstan (edited 03-20-2001).]

Mar 20, 2001, 10:50 PM

Booting with the extensions off, won't get you anywhere.

It will simply pop up a box that says "Booting with extensions off, please enter owner's password."

Having the MacOS CD would be the best way to get around it.

Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2001, 07:58 AM

Yup, boot from the CD.
If that won't work, boot from another Mac in FireWire Target Disk Mode if you have FireWire and another Mac available - I haven't tried that, the idea just occured to me right then. Give it a go.
If you have access to the File Sharing control panel, you can change the admin password without having to confirm it
Talk about a security hole.

Cipher13

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2001, 10:14 AM

Ahhh, crap.

I don't have the Mac OS CD because that is locked in his desk.

Looks like I will just have to wait until Monday.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Edit:

I'M A MEMBER!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!

[This message has been edited by shadybirdstan (edited 03-21-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules