Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Slow refresh rate? Problems with OS 9...

Slow refresh rate? Problems with OS 9...
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2001, 06:51 PM

If I close or minimize any window in the finder (Or IE 5, or Word 98, etc...), it takes several moments for the screen space underneath to turn from blank to wallpaper again. Even worse, any icon on the desktop has to recreate itself, one at a time. This takes a long time, and it's annoying.

I'm running a Sage iMac (Summer 2000) with 64 MB of ram. Do I need to upgrade this? (I probably will anyway when/if I decide to OS X my life.) This is a sudden problem and I hope there is a quick fix. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

rjkohlmeyer@mac.com

Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2001, 07:50 PM

Upgrading the memory will make a huge difference... you also might want to defragment and optimize your hard drive, and other basics like rebuilding the desktop, and running routine disk maintenance... but additional ram should make a huge difference and currently very affordable... 256MB can be had for as little $65 and 512MB can be had for around $200...
good luck
dave

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2001, 08:22 PM

Id first try reinstalling the video drivers (ati) and seeing if tyhat helps. The newest ones can be found at http://asu.info.apple.com

Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2001, 05:17 AM

Its a memory problem, without a doubt.
Get more.
Also, you may want to increase the "SIZE" resource in the Finder with ResEdit.
If you don't know how to do this, feel free to email me, or something, or post back for more information and I'll give you a step by step walkthrough.
Oh, one more thing, increase the RAM allocation to the "Appearance" Control Panel.
Need more info on that too, just ask
HTH

EDIT: Oh yeah, turn on virtual memory, to one megabyte above what you have installed.
How much RAM do you have?
It will use HD space, but improves memory management greatly.

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 03-22-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules