Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Multi-User preferences not being saved

Multi-User preferences not being saved
Dec 27, 2000, 06:36 PM
I set up Multiple Users under OD 9.0.4 last night and it seems to work OK, except that certain preferences do not seem to be getting saved. I have two users set up - the owner, and another user. When I change things such as the desktop picture, or make the control strip shown, I can see that the preferences files are updated, but after I log out and log back in with that user, the preferences are back to what they were before. Any ideas why this is happening? It kind of defeats the purpose if this doesn't work right...Thanks.
Dec 29, 2000, 02:42 PM
I have the same problem, running a new iMac with 9.0.4. Any ideas?
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2001, 06:04 PM
I have been scouring the net for information if the appearance manager supports multiple users. Or if it just doesnt take, or am I (we) missing something obvious?
Have tried to copy the preference file to different users (appearance manager in this case) but no luck. Location manager prefs disappeard untill I copied over a deault location to the other users prefs folder. Anybody!!!!!!
The real MacMicke™
Jan 8, 2001, 08:15 AM
I too have trouble with the desktop picture. Iwant it set to one picture for some users and another to other users. But it always changes back to the administrators desktop picture. There is after all a appearance folder in the local preference folders, not only in the global systemfolder....

Just wanna know???
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2001, 07:25 PM
Here are my Multiple User findings:

1. Multiple Users version 1.1 does retain individual User appearance preferences, yet it eventually becomes unstable, eventually overwriting either the User's appearance pref's or the OwnerŐs appearance pref's with the otherŐs prefŐs.

2. Multiple Users version 1.3 and later 1.3.1 is very consistent in only honoring the Owner's appearance pref's, In other words it always rewrites the other user's appearance pref's with the owner's appearance pref's.

All of that being said, here's the workaround...

Login as the Owner and remove these three files:
(Save themÉ do not throw them away you will need them later!)

[Multi-User Startup] Extension version 1.3 or 1.3.1 from the extensions folder
[Login] version 1.3 or 1.3.1 from the system folder
[Panels] version 1.3 or 1.3.1 from the system folder

Replace them with the version 1.1 files of the same name.

I found the files here: http://members.nbci.com/robo_x/MU1.1.sit

and here: http://hem.passagen.se/robo/MU1.1.sit

Now Restart your system. Once restarted login as each user and set their appearance preferences. Now as the Owner remove the three version 1.1 files and save them (you will need them later if you wish to alter the UserŐs appearance preferences again in the future). Now replace them with the version 1.3 or 1.3.1 files and Restart. Hopefully you will find as I have that each userŐs desktop picture has been saved according to the way it was set. The down side is that you still cannot change any of the UserŐs appearance preferences without following these steps again.
Forum Links
Forum Rules