Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > serious multiple users problem (2000 imac)

serious multiple users problem (2000 imac)
Senior User
Dec 27, 2000, 11:36 PM

hey all...

my family got an indigo imac (summer 2000) for christmas. thing are ok, except for fr one really big probem with multiple users.

when logged into any account other than the original "owner" account--pressing ANY function key will cause a system crash, forcing a restart.

assigning the function keys to programs works in the OWNER account, but no other account.

this is a serious problem--because when we occasionally miss the
delete" key. amd hit F11-causing a crash every time.

it also can't save the desktop background that anyone wants.

ayone have any solutions?

i have a pismo powerbook running OS 9.04, and the multiple users works great on there.

the OS on the iMac is supposedly also 9.04....but i've heard it was slightly diffferent. is there any way i can copy my multipe users from my powerbook onto the iMac to make it work better?

thanks!

-matt

[This message has been edited by mattmarshall (edited 12-27-2000).]

kb2vsg
Dec 28, 2000, 01:57 AM

I've tried and tried, I heard that if you install version 1.1 of the multiple user panel and the Login file in your System Folder should fix the problem, for me I just disabled the F function from the other users that way even if they hit the keys by mistake nothing happens, the wallpaper we all have the same, what is more important to me is that everyone has their own prefs for each app. and their own bookmarks.

Senior User
Dec 28, 2000, 02:15 AM

disabling the function keys would be fine--my family doesn't know they exist.....except that when you hit them, they crash the computer.

how can you do this? i dont see an option in the multiple user's contorl panel.....

thanks. i might try that 1.1 thing to see if it works--i've got 1.1 on my powerbook. did a reputable source tell you to do this? i don't want to take risks with my parent's machine.....

Senior User
Dec 28, 2000, 02:19 AM

i found how to turn the function keys off...no more crashing...

thanks

-matt

Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2001, 06:10 PM

Would like to make you aware of another thread about Multiple users and the inability to save certain prefs, like the desktop pic you mention :"Multi-User preferences not being saved "

MacMicke
The real MacMicke™

Forum Links
Forum Rules