Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Why does Appearance display lousy background pics?

Why does Appearance display lousy background pics?
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2001, 11:34 AM

Try this: Open your desktop background picture in Photoshop - or in any picture viewing program - and compare it with your background. You'll notice that the picture displayed by the Appearance manager is of lower quality than in Photoshop. Why is this?

I have tried lots of pictures and formats, and the results are the same. Changing the way the picture is displayed (tiled, centered...) doesn't do a thing.

[This message has been edited by SillyPooh (edited 01-03-2001).]

Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2001, 11:41 AM

If you noticed most of the themes that come with the OS are 800x600 pics, because most people set their resolution greater than 800x600 the pic looks less sharp. try seting you resolution to 800x600, the background should have the same quality you see in photoshop.

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2001, 12:03 PM

No I didn't mean that. Even with 1024x768 pictures, the quality is worse. The colors are darker and much crispier on the original than as a background.

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2001, 09:51 AM

Ok, I got it. It seems it's something from QuickTime. How do I know? Open your background picture with PictureViewer: the results are the same as on the background. With all the respect I owe to QT, it fails to display picture accurately. I believe Photoshop does not use QT, anyway, it displays pictures better. This is why there's such a huge difference. I can't tell exactly why and how, but trust me that's how it is.

For the record, to counteract this, I ajusted the picture in Photoshop so that, when displayed as a Background, it would look as the original in Photoshop. For that, just give -22 brightness and a +25 contrast, the pictures should match more or less.

Ahhhhhh, now this is much better!

Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2001, 10:16 AM

I think it's due to the fact that Photoshop, by default, is setup to adjust the color for monitor compensation. Thats's why the colors of images show up properly (as well as why Web graphics look different when you actually save them and view them in a browser.

To check this, in Photoshop go to Filed->Color Setup->RGB Setup and uncheck the monitor compensation box. Then open your image and see if it looks the same as in PictureViewer or Appearance.

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2001, 10:53 AM

You're right Misha, I missed that point.
My apologies to QuickTime!

I think Apple should do a bit more concerning LCD displays...

Thanx anyway...

[This message has been edited by SillyPooh (edited 01-04-2001).]

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2001, 09:27 PM

I can confirm the use of Quicktime in displaying desktop pictures. Turn off some of the Quicktime extensions, and the pictures going over the patterns no longer display.

Darcy
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

Forum Links
Forum Rules