Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > HP deskjet desktop printer missing

HP deskjet desktop printer missing
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2001, 11:52 PM

After reinstalling OS9.0.4 onto another drive and starting with a fresh system I am unable to print to my HP Deskjet 930c. When I start up from my prior hard drive there are no printing difficulties. When I run from my brand-new system folder on the other drive the Chooser won't keep the deskjet printer selected. I get an error message from any application (like MS Word 2001) telling me that there is no desktop printer to spool the file to and the file is being sent to the trash.

Also, I now have a print spool monitor / print chooser in the right side of my menu that I didn't have when running from the prior system file / disk. I also have the same thing in my control strip.

The desktop printer from the other system folder remains active - the default printer. I can't seem to select any HP deskjet but THAT one - and it doesn't work when I startup from my new system folder.

G3 / 300 MT USB enabled with an OrangeLink PCI card. The printer is hooked up to one of the USB ports.

Thanks!

------------------
- Jeff
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2001, 12:01 AM

Okay the menu next to the finder for your printers I don't like either. Diasble/trash "Desktop Printer Menu" in Extensions Manager. the printer selecter on your control strip is in the control strips folder of your system folder. Have you run any disk utilities on your new startup drive?
Carpé Bandwidth

Jeff75  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2001, 09:17 AM

Very interesting... I'll try that. Yes, I've run Tech Tool Pro 3 on all drives. I do have a problem with Tech Tool crashing my computer when it reaches the "File Structures" test on any of my drives - I have two physical drives and five total created with partitions.

------------------
- Jeff

Jeff75  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2001, 08:23 PM

Allah, I tried what you suggested. The HP installer REinstalled the Desktop Printer Menu extension!

I tried a few things and noticed a few things:

I uninstalled the driver and then reinstalled it. A desktop printer icon appeared - great. But the new icon had a name "hp deskjet" and the original one from the other system had the name "DESKJET 930C".

I noticed that no matter what I do, I can't keep "hp deskjet" active - the other one keeps turning into the default. And I can't print from that other one. The other one is also the only one that the Chooser recognizes.

I even went so far as to rename the printer icons. I named the icon I want to be active the name I can choose in the Chooser. No luck. The same icon keeps becoming the default printer.

I fear this is a software glitch on HP's side - it probably doesn't account for guys who have two system folders on their computer, even if those system folders are on two separate drives and only one (of course) is the startup disk.

Any suggestions anyone? This is a real challenge...

------------------
- Jeff

[This message has been edited by Jeff75 (edited 01-04-2001).]

Jeff75  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2001, 11:26 PM

OK. I've solved the problem. The HP driver software won't allow a desktop printer to exist on more than one startup disk at a time, even if that startup disk is inactive.

I uninstalled the driver from my other system folder, reinstalled it on my preferred system folder and it works fine. As long as there is only ONE desktop printer icon on the whole computer it works great.

After this trouble I think I'll just stick to one system folder!

Forum Links
Forum Rules