Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Finder not enough memory???

Finder not enough memory???
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2001, 07:21 PM

Today I'm just going through my e-mail, occasionally copying into MS Word 2001, and decide to check how much memory is being used by various applications. I click on the desktop, go to the Apple menu and select "About this Computer" and I get an error message "Finder doesn't have enough memory. Try Again or Restart?"

I clicked on Entourage and ignored the message and nothing bad happened, but then I noticed the desktop picture was half gone, revealing the desktop pattern!

What the heck's going on?? (original G3/300 Mhz/384Mb/USB enabled/OS 9.0.4)

------------------
- Jeff
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2001, 09:35 PM

You are out of memory.
How much was each app using?
What else did you have open?
Has it happened again since?
If yo ulike you can manually increase the memory allocation of the Finder itself...

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 01-04-2001).]

Jeff75  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2001, 09:05 PM

Gee, I really don't think I ran out of memory. I have 384 Mb physical RAM and was running Entourage & MS Word & the Launcher only. Here's memory allocation:
MS Word - 20 Mb
Entourage - 15 Mb
Launcher - 216 K

That's why I was so stunned. Maybe the RAM was fragmented... How do I allocate more memory to the Finder? When I check the info on Finder it doesn't have an option of increasing memory - just the general information.

Thanks.

Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2001, 09:21 PM

I'd say the combination of the two MS apps... and all the libraries they used could have done it.
There could have been a memory leak or something.
Has it happened again?
When the desktop stops redrawing, and icons appear slowly, then you really are out of RAM.
It is THE indicator for it.
To allocate more RAM to the Finder, grab a copy of ResEdit and open a COPY of the Finder in it. Edit the SIZE resource.
Keep a copy of the old Finder though incase it gets screwed up.
Put the edited Finder where the old one was.
Now I must add the SIZE resources sometimes behave very strangely, so... just a word of warning.

Cipher13

Jeff75  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2001, 09:33 PM

No, it hasn't happened again. Sorry to hear that was a true memory issue. I did buy my 256 DIMM from Chip Merchant - could it be defective? I thought they were a decent source.

Also, quite a while ago I formatted a new hard drive using the Apple-supplied utility software. Does that cause any problem? I ignored written instructions to use "third-party utility software" (explicitly NOT Apple) when I installed the new drive. Thought it was silly...

Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2001, 09:49 PM

Nah, you should always use Apples Drive Setup.
But if it explicitly said not to... I don't know.
That shouldn't be the cause of it.
I think you sprung a memory leak which won't appear again. A chance encounter.
It should be right, and I don't think its your RAM chip either.
Make sure Virtual Memory is on and set to 1 meg (385 megs total) - it introduces much better memory management, although at a cost of 385 megs of HD space in your case...

Cipher13

Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2001, 10:27 PM

Whoa Jeff75! I hope you did not pay too much for that 256 mb DIMM. I got mine from Crucial Technology and I have ordered from then and have had no problems (as far as I know). Anyway, I got the 256 mb DIMM for only $140 and they had free 2nd day delivery!

As for using Apple drivers to format your HD: I bought a seagate drive months ago and have always used Apple drivers and I have run Tech Tool Pro and Disk Warrior and my drives run well and no reports of problems in the past 8 months.

Jeff75  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2001, 03:21 PM

Cipher 13, I do indeed have VM set like you suggest. Glad to see you think it was a chance encounter. I'm even MORE glad that the Apple Drive Setup is OK to use.

zoopsia215, my new drive is also a Seagate. When I use Tech Tool's File Structures Test my system freezes up. Everything else tests out fine. I have just ignored it out of laziness.

$140 for 256Mb DIMM !! Wow! I spent $250 and thought I was getting a deal. Glad you had no trouble with it, but I've read a few posts that say it's worth paying a little more for your memory to get it from a good source. Not saying Crucial isn't - I just didn't shop there and probably would have bought there if I had found it. I'll check it out in the future. Not that my G3 will EVER be obsolete...

Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2001, 12:03 AM

Crucial is a great vendor... Apple uses their RAM in their systems (as well as other vendor's).

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2001, 11:24 AM

I always give more memory to all the little control panel apps like "Appearance" and even Extension Manager (opens much faster, and allows setting large desktop pictures), as well as "appe" type background faceless apps, Sherlock, Indexing, etc. Everything.

ChipMerchant has been around for ages and is very reputable. There is a glut of memory and Micron/Crucial does have nice $132 256MB prices right now.

I sometimes need to have Word 98 set to 50MB and keep it high. Having an application - any - that you can quit - can free up memory. Or have Peek-a-Boo so you can kill one or see what's running.

There is a Word 2001 Special Report on all the bugs in it and also Office 2001 on MacIntouch or MacFixit worth looking through for tips and hints.

Control Strip, TCP loading/unloading, can cause fragmented memory. Anything that adds items to menu bar as well. If it warrants investigating, I'd trim extensions to Mac OS All and start from there. the MOM (Microsoft Office Menu control panel) use to be buggy, dirty, source of hidden problems. Not sure if the latest version is also - worth disabling temporarily. The one that "hides" icons of non-Office apps when Office apps are open.

Gregory

Forum Links
Forum Rules