Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Disk Image Question

Disk Image Question
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2001, 11:44 PM

I was wondering if i can boot my computer from a HFS formated disk image.

Senior User
Jan 6, 2001, 11:49 PM

I don't think that it's possible...

noliv
-noliv

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2001, 12:05 AM

Hmm well its just i have the Norton utilities as a HFS disk image, and currently no burner and to Defrag the HD u need to boot of the Norton disk.

Would it be possiblt to boot of the MacOS reinstall cd, mount the disk image, run Norton and defrag the HD? Or would that not work cause its not *really* a disk?

------------------
--->Sk

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2001, 12:53 AM

Well seeing how the disk image would still be read off the hard drive you want to defrag it probably won't work...but then again if you can make a RAM disk to store it on that should work.

And I'm kinda confused as to why you are asking this...just try it and see if it gives you the error message saying Noton needs to be on another disk or not. And if worst come to worst you could actually buy the Norton software, god forbid!

Senior User
Jan 7, 2001, 12:53 AM

yes it's possible, but you need to put the little 'speed disk' app on an other partition (or ram disk)
you don't need to boot from the norton CD, you just need to boot from another partition...

noliv

[This message has been edited by noliv (edited 01-06-2001).]
-noliv

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2001, 12:59 AM

Yeah thats what i thought. Buy a program, heavens no, thats what Carracho is for Besides once i get my burner (By my count in a few weeks) i can just burn it from there, i don't need to defrag THAT bad the damage is just moderate. O well thanks for your help guys.

------------------
--->Sk

Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2001, 01:31 AM

I can see the thought police coming any minute...

Cipher13

Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2001, 01:42 AM

What kind of computer do you have?
Is it your iMac that you're talking about?
If so booting from the RAM disk is not an option...

Cipher13

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2001, 12:02 PM

Create a RAM Disk. Boot from CD. Use Disk First Aid to erase the RAM Disk (it won't show up when booted from CD otherwise) and copy Norton files to RAM disk.

The custom routines in NUM SD 6 for wiping free space or a minimal optimization are fast, quick, and move most of the files - 80% so that you get most of the benefit and don't need to take 2 hrs.

Of course having scratch drive or volume you can keep each optimized more easily, and if you stay 60% or less utilization little need. If you really need free space, a scratch volume would probably make more sense (audio, video or CD burning).

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2001, 01:55 PM

Yeah, im talking about my iMac here. As for the above post,i have no idea what he is talking about so ill just wait till i get my burner........Also couldn't i copy the norton program to a Zip disk, boot of the Restore CD and run the program via the Zip? Just a thought.

------------------
--->Sk

Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2001, 08:09 PM

Yes that'd be fine
What he means is make a RAM disk but don't boot off it - merely copy the app to the RAM disk and run it form there, not the hard drive. Like a temporary hard drive partition...

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules