Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Messed-up screen size

Messed-up screen size
Sponge
Jun 29, 2000, 09:27 AM

(Thanks again to everyone who took time to answer past questions!)

Here I go wearing the welcome mat REALLY thin with a third question in as many days...

I tried connecting an old IBM monitor up to my new Powerbook, you know, just to see what would happen. Well, to my surprise, it worked quite well!! I've since disconnected it, and my Powerbook screen is now a little messed up. The icons stop about 3 inches from the bottom of the screen, and my Control Bar (or whatever it's called on English Mac systems) is also up a few inches from the bottom. The desktop pattern shows up normally, though. When I change the screen size with the monitor control panel, the icons and Control Bar still show a ways up from the bottom... I've cleared the pram, but no go. What gives?

Anyone have any ideas? Sure would like to get things back to normal!

Thanks.

Lunchbox
Jun 29, 2000, 10:39 AM

Did you use video mirroring or did your powerbook screen shut off when you plugged in the monitor.

If it shut off, that means the monitor most likely was at a lower resolution than your laptop's screen and moved the icons to fit. Just move the icons back to the bottom of the screen, and move your control strip back by holding option and dragging it down. Later, if you want to save yourself the trouble of moving the icons again, you could try connecting the monitor back up and switching to the same resolution as your laptop, although you monitor might not allow that.

Sponge
Jun 29, 2000, 12:38 PM

Thanks! Seems to be fixed now. I knew it had to be simple...

Forum Links
Forum Rules