Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PowerPC Enablers

PowerPC Enablers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2000, 04:46 PM

I just upgraded from MacOS 9.0.2 (pre-installed on my G4) to MacOS 9.0.4 and I now have BOTH the PowerPC 9.0.2 Enabler AND the PowerPC 9.0.4 Enablers in my System Folder.

Can I safely trash the "old" 9.0.2 Enabler now? Is there any problem with just leaving it there?

Administrator
Jul 4, 2000, 06:05 PM

You can trash it. My G4 came with 9.0 (no enabler), when I went to 9.04, I got just the 9.04 enabler. No problems here.

I don't think it does anything to just leave it, but I like a trim System folder myself.

bluefire 529
Jul 5, 2000, 03:55 PM

A quick word of caution regarding trashing the 9.0.4 Enabler. I do not know how much this affects other machines, but here is what I found with my 7500/100 (now more of a 7300/200).

I installed the 9.0.4 update to my machine and it would crash within 5 minutes from startup, no matter what I was doing, whether it be running an app or just sitting at the desktop. Starting with extensions off, the machine ran fine. I trimmed down the Extensions Manager to the point of only a couple 3rd party extensions along with a slimmed-down set of Apple extensions. This still didn't work.

I then looked in my System folder and saw the new Enabler that was never there before. I trashed it and restarted. Everything worked great! For grins, I ran the Software Update and it said the only thing I needed was OS 9.0.4. I looked at what my system was, and it said 9.0. I reinstalled the update, and it started crashing again. I threw away the Enabler, and it worked fine, but the System said I was only running 9.0

I do not know what the Enabler does, but it seems to want to be there for the OS to see itself as 9.0.4. Now I am just running the update without the Enabler, and everything is running fine.

Just my $0.02

P
Jul 24, 2000, 02:34 AM

The PPC Enabler is there to avoid patching the System file during the update, as patching a file is always harder than writing a brand new one. Removing the 9.0.4 Enabler reverts the system to 9.0 again.

Re: The 9.0.2 Enabler. You can remove it allright. Don't trash just yet, though - never trash anything directly from the system folder, leave it in a folder outside the system for a while and see if you might need it after all.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Administrator
Jul 24, 2000, 03:04 AM

Clarification: I seem to have worded my first reply poorly. I was referring to trashing the 9.0.2 enabler. I have left the 9.0.4 enabler strictly alone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules