Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > accents and screenshot

accents and screenshot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2001, 07:29 PM

Probably two stupid questions, but anyway:
1) How do I type accents? In Windows you can use the international keyboard layout and then you just type 'e and get an e with an accent. With my mac, i don't even know how to get it done, except in WordPerfect or Dreamweaver.
2) I know how to make a screenshot, but how do I get it in photoshop?

------------------
"Chance is irrelevant. We will succeed."
== Seven of Nine ==
== 7 of 9 ==

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2001, 07:42 PM

See if you can access the Keyboard control panel and select french or french Canadian keyboard layouts by checking the box next to one of them.

Darcy
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2001, 07:50 PM

Open the Key Caps control panel.
Hold the option key and take not of the ones that show accents (they are also bordered).
To use those keys, I would press option-e, then the letter I want to have the accent.
So, that would be , or , or , or and so on.
Or , , etc... (by pressing option-n and the letter)
, , , etc... (by pressing option-u and the letter)
And so on

To get your screenshot in Photoshop, drag the picture to the Photoshop icon, or use Photoshop to navigate to the pictures location with the "Open" command.
There is also a way to get a screenshot onto the clipboard rather than the HD, but I can't remember that one... anyone?

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 01-08-2001).]

ervier  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2001, 08:28 AM

Thanks! So accents is just OPTION and e/u/i/` and the letter. That's quite easy. And the screenshot works fine too. I discovered I had several made already, just hadn't found them.

------------------
== Seven of Nine ==
== 7 of 9 ==

Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2001, 11:07 AM

Here is an excellent source for Special Mac and Windows characters and their eqiuvelents.
http://www.typeart.com/special-characters.html

P7
Jan 10, 2001, 04:48 PM

This was amusing for me to read, because after being so used to getting accents, tildes, symbols, bullets, &c with Mac, I found myself utterly lost and confused using Windows. It's a small feature, but the special character and symbol support in Mac is just so wonderful.

ervier  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2001, 08:35 AM

Well, to be honest, I still think Windows beats the mac with this. It all has to do with the keyboard you select in Windows. When you select the US-international keyboard layout, it gets really simple. You just type the accent first, and then the letter you want. So if you want an 'e' with an accent-circumflex (^), you type ^e and you get .
'Great', you think, but what if I want to type just the the accent? Then you type a space instead of a letter. When you get used to it, it really is very easy to use.

------------------
== Seven of Nine ==
== 7 of 9 ==

Senior User
Jan 11, 2001, 10:10 AM

I have and special keys on my french keyboard

(I hate French keyboards, they are 'azerty' instead of 'qwerty', you must hold down the shift key to get a number and the [ and ] characters are hidden (option-shift-5 or 6 I think...) beurk)

[previous post] ervier% Well, to be honest, I still think Windows beats the mac with this. It all has to do with the keyboard you select in Windows. When you select the US-international keyboard layout, it gets really simple. You just type the accent first, and then the letter you want. So if you want an 'e' with an accent-circumflex (^), you type ^e and you get .

That works this way on my mac... it all has to do with the keyboard you select...

noliv
-noliv

Forum Links
Forum Rules