Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > segmenting large files

segmenting large files
ssampey
Jul 10, 2000, 01:47 PM

Anybody have any suggestions on segmenting files larger than 2gb under OS 9.0? Nothing seems to recognize files that large yet.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2000, 01:55 PM

What kind of file is it? Is it a digital video movie?

I don't know, really, but try using Disk Copy or searching for "segment" on CNET's download.com.

I wish you the best of luck...

------------------
"It's the man, not the machine" - Chuck Yeager... Somehow I find that hard to believe.

FireWire PowerBook 500MHz/512MB/30GB/6xDVD4xCDRW/AirPort/T1 and DSL

[This message has been edited by seanyepez (edited 07-10-2000).]

Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2000, 05:02 AM

I got a copy of Compact Pro... has the ability to segment. Little old though. E-mail me if you want.
OS 9 has the ability to recognise files up to 2 terabytes (off the top of my head).

Cipher13

------------------
"I may be dead but I'll be damned if I'm gonna turn around"

snipe
Jul 11, 2000, 06:45 AM

Try MacRAR 2.5. It really gets the job done. Search on versiontracker.com, you'll find it.

Senior User
Jul 11, 2000, 11:55 AM

I vote for DiskCopy. You can compress your files pretty well at the same time. Download it from Apple's Software Updates area. Here's the link - get the Disk Copy Scripts, too, as they will allow you to segment the image you create. http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11162
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

ssampey
Jul 12, 2000, 12:22 PM

Tried all of the above mentioned products, and none of them will segment larger than two gigabytes. Disk Copy can only create an image 2gb big. Ugh-couldn't find anything on the windows side either.

Lunchbox
Jul 17, 2000, 10:45 AM

You cannot create files larger than 2gb because HSF+ limits you. This goes for all apps. If you HAVE a file larger than 2gb, something is really wrong.

ssampey
Jul 17, 2000, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Lunchbox:
You cannot create files larger than 2gb because HSF+ limits you. This goes for all apps. If you HAVE a file larger than 2gb, something is really wrong.
Actually, that's incorrect. The largest file size under HFS+ is 2 terabytes. See Apple tech note: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n24601

P
Jul 24, 2000, 02:25 AM

ssampey is right - HFS+ handles very large files (2^32*4KB, which may or may not add up to 2 terabytes, I don't care to count it). HFS used to handle nothing larger than 2 GB, though, which is why many programs retain that limit.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules