Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes: The newest iTools component?

iTunes: The newest iTools component?
Jan 9, 2001, 10:30 PM
I thought it may be interesting to note that iTunes is available for download via the recently-added Software folder of (at least my) iDisk. There is also a "Music" folder, which I suspect may eventually tie iTools and iTunes in much the same way the Movies folder unites iTools with iMovie. (The new ReadMe says "Put music files and playlists in this folder." Hmm...)

Something to think about: If Apple decides to do something like this, what will Apple do about people sharing music on iDisk that's not theirs to share? Working on the assumption of integration into iTools, HomePage, etc., imagine an inexperienced user ripping an MP3 of their favorite song with iTunes, uploading it with iDisk, and making it play in the background of their HomePage. Where does this put Apple? Or the user? My first thought goes to the user agreement...

Finally, in case you're wondering, the iDisk version of iTunes does not appear to be any different from the HTTP-downloadable version; the SMI files have slightly different sizes, versions, and modification dates, but the mounted disk images appear (from Get Info displays on the 'iTunes Installer' files) identical. (I spent over half an hour downloading this via iDisk.. not my preferred software update method for future updates, but this might end up as the only way that people can get it tonight if Apple's download servers continue to be unresponsive.)

Thanks for that moment of attention, and have a nice day, night, evening, or morning.
Forum Links
Forum Rules