Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes and CD-RW Drives...

iTunes and CD-RW Drives...
rdgit
Jan 9, 2001, 11:50 PM

Is it true that iTunes only supports the new Mac "SuperDrive" which is only found in the newest G4 systems...? Please tell me this is not the case (because this would be the most useless piece of $#it from Apple to date). If it is not true, where can I get a supported CD-RW drive list...?

Thanks!!!!

;-)

Senior User
Jan 10, 2001, 12:02 AM

I have the same problem - running on a Yikes 400MHz G4 with a QPS Que Fire FireWire CD-RW and iTunes doesn't recognize it.

Also noticed a plug in folder for iTunes - will SoundJam plugins work here? Is there an equalizer?

by the way rdgit interesting to see you are from Gilroy - I was raised in San Juan Bautista for 9 years of my childhood =)

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2001, 12:03 AM

Steve said that there would be drivers for 3rd party CD-RW drives coming within the next 30-90 days.
Regards,
dolphyjazz

------------------
iMac DV 400mhz (99)
384 MB RAM
iMac DV 400mhz (99)
384 MB RAM

Senior User
Jan 10, 2001, 12:08 AM

i find that acceptable

by the way was there a new pro keyboard released with a power key or was that just a rumor

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2001, 12:55 AM

Yes it works on my Sony Xpressa with Firewire. The drive is recognized and I was able to burn a CD already. It is soooo simple. The tracks are automatically changed to aiff and then burnt. Just drag the files into a new playlist and press the burn button. Quite a feat I would say. You can also use your mac while burning. The burn will run in the background.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2001, 12:58 AM

That's good news. Unfortunately iTunes doesn't recognize my QUE! FIRE drive. But I know that there will be drivers coming for it shortly. It's nice to know that you can still use your mac will burning a CD. I hated waiting for toast!
Regards,
dolphyjazz

------------------
iMac DV 400mhz (99)
384 MB RAM
iMac DV 400mhz (99)
384 MB RAM

Phaedrus
Jan 10, 2001, 01:00 AM

Once Apple polishes up iTunes it will totally rock. That was a winning move, to buy radialogic and soundjam and mix them together. I can't wait for those drivers to be released!

Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2001, 01:33 AM

Everything about iTunes rocks, and it is only the first shot! See how easy it is to put in a CD and then dump it into iTunes. This has solved alot of problems for us neophytes in my house on mp3 stuff. We have been set free. Thank you Apple.

Admin Emeritus
Jan 10, 2001, 03:08 AM

One thing I really liked was the "burn" button iris hatch. A funky little animation and a pulsating radiation symbol as the actual button! But what I find even cooler is this: I don't have a CDRW drive at all, so naturally it didn't find one. So the pulsating button sits there, and then starts pulsating really fast, and then the hatch closes again, heh! Very cute!

tooki

parky_in_paris
Jan 10, 2001, 05:12 AM

I'm sure you are all very happy with your iTunes software. But spare a thought for all those Apple customers who are not based in the US.
As usual Apple have only released the US -English version of the DVD firmware updater and the iTunes software.

And before you all jump on the bandwaggon and tell me it's because they have to do more work before it can be released - rubbish.
We have had to suffer a 'Trash' icon and US spelling in the menu itmes since 9.0.4, this was supposed to make the release of International-English software faster if not at the same time as the US-English. Well that's waht Apple said at the time to shut us up, seems we were taken in again. Looks like February before we will get a look at iTunes.

Keep your customers HAPPY Steve, don't make them feel second best.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2001, 01:06 PM

Hey,

Am I to gather from all of this iTunes talk that once there are drivers for Que Drives, the software can replace Toast for purposes of burning both music (AIFF, mP3) and data?

How about using Retrospect? Currently, I can only backup to my Que Firedrive if I have the Toast extensions loaded.

Thanks.

------------------
"The only consistant people I know are dead."

iMac DVSE 400/128/13
OS 9.0.4
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

RLeatherwood
Jan 10, 2001, 01:53 PM

Macintouch has a iTunes page at http://www.macintouch.com/itunes.html
in which reader Lionel gives instructions on how to enable other CDRW drives (SCSI, IDE, USB). iTunes CDRW capability is based off CD-MASTER
program that Apple purchased.

Here is the section:

>Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:30:25 +0100
>From: Lionel
>Subject: iTunes
>
>
>Hi,
>
>This is a small tip for a better use of Apple's new software "iTunes".
>
>Apple iTunes can only burn CD-Rs with the futur internal G4 CD writters.
>
>If you want to burn CDs with iTunes and a Yamaha IDE or SCSI 4416 or >2100S do the following :
>
>Get the software demo of "CD Master"
>In the folder "Plug In" get the file Yamaha cdr
>Change the file type into : "burn" and the creator into : "plug"
>Place that file into the "Authoring Support Files" of iTunes and restart >it.
>Be sure that "CD Master ATA/SCSI Driver" is in the extension folder and >is activated, otherwise reinstall CD Master
>Enjoy !
>Lionel from the www.macbidouille.com crew."

rsh
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2001, 07:39 PM

I tried the Macintouch hack. (Downloaded the CD Master demo and used the Firewire Extension from it to burn from iTunes to my Sony Spressa Firewire.) It worked, using the "Sony CD-R" authoring tool that is already included with iTunes. (If you look inside your System Folder/Extensions/Authoring Tools you'll see that iTools already offers extensions for a variety of CD-R drives.)
Sad to report that it was S-L-O-W. The conversion process to prepare the MP3's to burn took about the same amount of time it usually takes Toast to convert and burn.
I'm not sure why it was so slow. Perhaps this was the reason why Applie didn't just provide the Firewire Extension from CD Master with iTunes. The trouble may be with the Firewire/SCSI extensions needed to communicate with external drives.
No question, for now Soundjam/Toast is the faster more powerful combo. Still, I salute Apple for rushing this thing out, for some terrific ideas (IMHO) on the interface/file organization, and best of all for making it FREE. That really knocked my socks off.
The fact that it IS free makes me expect an ITunes 2 in a few months that will include all the features (e.g. Equalizer) that are currently missing. Like iMovie2, they will charge for it but include it free on new Macs.
Gotta wonder how the Roxio people feel, though. First seeing Apple provide this for FREE (after they announce Toast OSX (Titanitum! Heh), then hearing Steve DISS them by name from the stage in the keynote! Yikes!

Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2001, 10:20 PM

paris,
Apple is an American company after all. I'm sure that if Apple was a European company that America would come second. Sony is an example of this. It's not a bad thing but I will not spend much time grieving for you and your brethren.

Senior User
Jan 18, 2001, 09:35 PM

er, sony's from japan, which is in asia. a better example would be porsche [which is actually in europe]. or renault [france].

was "le car" "le car" or "l'auto?"

used cd master's plextor plugin and the firewire driver, but had no luck - itunes wants to burn on my internal dvd instead [before i installed the drivers, it found no recorder at all].

i figger i reinstall and see what goes.

lacie 8x4x32.

Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2001, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by Storyboy:
Hey,

Am I to gather from all of this iTunes talk that once there are drivers for Que Drives, the software can replace Toast for purposes of burning both music (AIFF, mP3) and data?
no, iTunes' burn feature is just for burning audio CD's. after all, if you notice the round button is only a "Burn" button when you are looking at a playlist. it will burn the currently active playlist to an audio cd.

disappointed? don't be. there's even cooler! check out Disc Burner
Disc Burner: http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11901

Disc Burner provides the following burning capabilities for data CDs:
Step 1. insert blank cd. wait for blank cd icon to appear on desktop. no I'm not kidding.
Step 2. drag and drop files, folders etc. onto the blank cd icon. double click the icon to open it like any folder in the Finder and move stuff around how you like.
Step 3. give the cd a name. same way you rename stuff in the Finder
Step 4. eject the CD. it will burn in the background, then eject your newly burned data CD

This new software is also waiting for the same drivers as iTunes.
If you can't wait: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/002224.html

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

Forum Links
Forum Rules