Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > pause at startup

pause at startup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2000, 09:22 AM

Can anyone explain why my Powerbook G3(Bronze) pauses during startup? The inits all load, the desktop comes up, but then the computer pauses for 1-2 minutes. Can't do anything until it's done.

I have it connected to an Ethernet hub and then onto @home cable. There is also a Snap server in the hub too. But I recall this also happening before both of these.

Do I have something in my system folder I shouldn't?

------------------
Brian Wm. Niles
CEO, TargetX.com Incorporated
Brian Niles
----------
TiBook 550mhz, 512mb RAM, Combo Drive
iMac 400mhz, 320mb RAM, CDROM Drive

Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2000, 09:25 AM

delete the AppleShare PDS file (it is invisible) and the Servers folder in the System Folder and reboot

Partridge
Jul 11, 2000, 07:48 PM

OS9 Startup delays:
Not all of this applies to you,some of it should help though:

Are you connected to a network? This can cause the lag as the computer is gathering network information.
If you're not physically connected to a network, you can open the AppleTalk control panel and change "Connect via:" to Remote Only. This will significantly decrease the lag time.

Check to see that you are not using a DHCP server for your IP address. If you are not on a network (you do not say so in your email) you probably shouldn't be using the DHCP setup. Go into the TCP/IP control pan. If you are not using a DHCP server, make sure that it is not set to get its IP address from the DHCP server- just toggle it to Manual. (and type in your IP address/mask as they were set under auto) This should stop that pause; the Mac looks for an IP address from its DHCP server as soon as it hits the desktop, and that explains that pause.

Remove aliases to large folders or disks from the Apple Menu. These are searched at each startup and can take up a lot of time. Limit the number of items in "Recent" Apps/Docs/servers folders.
Rebuild the desktop. It can become inneficiently large over time

Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2000, 12:54 AM

@Home cable Internet is a DHCP service I think.

Cipher13

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2000, 07:45 AM

Thank you everyone. The deletion of the Appleshare file and the servers folder in the system folder worked.

To clarify, @home is a static address. And by the way, it's not as fast as they say. Although, it's nice that it's always on.
Brian Niles
----------
TiBook 550mhz, 512mb RAM, Combo Drive
iMac 400mhz, 320mb RAM, CDROM Drive

Adrie
May 12, 2001, 05:53 PM

hi wlonh,

Thanks a bunch!! Your method of deleting the AppleShare PDS and servers folder worked. Would you be able to tell me though why doing this makes such a difference and what AppleShare PDS was originally doing in the HD to cause the problem?

Thanks.

Clinically Insane
May 13, 2001, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by brianniles:
Thank you everyone. The deletion of the Appleshare file and the servers folder in the system folder worked.

To clarify, @home is a static address. And by the way, it's not as fast as they say. Although, it's nice that it's always on.
Actually it is DHCP, not static, in general.
SOME providers give static but most use DHCP.
Either way its easy to make yours static anyway.

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: cipher13@mac.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules