Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > HELP! Boot problems

HELP! Boot problems
mstearne
Jul 13, 2000, 12:30 PM

I shut down last night and then tried to reboot and the HD sounds like it is trying to start up but then stops and there is a flashing folder on the screen with a question mark. When I boot from a CD I can see the HD and work with it, the computer just won't boot from that drive. Does anyone know how to reset the boot sector? (I guess). Will this involve a reinstall of the system software? Any help would be appreciated. I am running OS 9 on iMac DV.

Thanks,
Michael

Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2000, 12:41 PM

have you run your HD repair util's to check that HD? startup from whatever HD repair util CD you have and run the diagnostic/repair routine

do that first, and if that yields nothing then try updating the driver using the Drive Setup util

mstearne
Jul 13, 2000, 12:47 PM

Tried the disk first aid earlier, it found minor errors and fixed them. I just tried to update the drivers with Drive Setup (I didn't know you could do that) and restarted but it still didn't work. Actually on the screen is a picture of a 3.5" floppy and a question mark. I originally said it was a folder.

Thanks,
Michael

Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2000, 12:55 PM

you can try zapping the PRAM but i don't think it will be of much use...

when was the last time you defragged your HD? i have heard of instances when a really badly fragged HD will not boot (search fora for more info on this specific issue) even though i find it hard to believe

do you have DiskWarrior? is is a great HD util www.alsoft.com

i fear you will need to do a clean install, this is easy, and you will be able to migrate your old pref's from the 'Previous System Folder' to the new one... drag 'n drop

and you really should check that HD with more than just DFA...

mstearne
Jul 13, 2000, 01:10 PM

I just reformatted the HD about a week ago (Zeroed it too). It's not fragmented. I was playing around with Darwin on another partition and probably did something with that. (I know I should have mentioned that but I was wondering if this was a common thing that could be fixed easily. I am new to Mac.) I am doing a restore right now, hopefully that should fix it.

I think I am a little to restore happy now on the Mac so I wanted to see if I could fix it before that. In Windows for a system reinstall you had to dedicate a day to getting all your files backed up, reinstalling apps,etc. Macs are SOOO easy to fix after you have messed them up.

You said you could try zapping your PRAM, I have done that before. I was wondering if you know of a site that has all those types of startup keyboard short cuts. A lot of them seem to be un documented.

Thanks,
Michael
PS The restore just finished and it boots again, unbelieveable. A full reinstall in 20 minutes.

Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2000, 01:16 PM

yeah that reinstall is a killer

check you manual for some keyboard commands

and search the fora

Administrator
Jul 13, 2000, 04:16 PM

Of late, Apple has been thinning down the paper manuals and packing most of the good details in the electronic versions. This does keep the manuals more up to date, but is kind of a pain if your system is not booting.

Anyway, in the Finder pull down the Help menu and choose Help Center. This is a mini-browser that checks through your local help files and (sometimes) extends to online help files also.

Type in "keyboard shortcuts" and you will get a fair listing. For the rest, I search for keyboard shortcuts in the Apple Tech Info Library. I don't know of the PC manufacturers have similiar online technical help libraries, but Apple's TIL has been indispensible for me.

mstearne
Jul 13, 2000, 06:11 PM

When wlonh suggested "read my manual" I was going to say,"What manual?" All I got was like a poster and a sticker! They don't give you too much in the way of manuals, especially an iMac. But thanks for the other suggestions(and wlonk's original help).

Michael

Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2000, 06:14 PM

Reader50 is exactly right...

and i am sorry if i have bad old habits, paper manuals... just goes to show ya

Forum Links
Forum Rules