Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1, Multiple Users, Appearance settings lost

9.1, Multiple Users, Appearance settings lost
Moo-Kow
Jan 10, 2001, 10:02 AM

I was able to download and install the 9.1 upgrade (from the wisc.edu mirror) and it is generally very very SWEET. However...

The Appearance settings won't "stick" when I log out -- they always revert back to the owner's settings. My particular Mac is owned by someone with horrid taste, and his desktop picture of choice is simply dreadful.

I cannot bear staring at this picture any longer than I have to, and would be grateful to anyone that can tell me if they have experienced a similar issue in 9.1, and if they have found a fix.

Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2001, 10:39 AM

I have had the same problem with both 9.0.4 and now with 9.1.
And I have written to this excellent forum in hope of some knowledge.
But to no avail.
I wanted my kids to be able to have their own desktop setup (desktoppicture of their choice). And me mine.
But as you say, it switches back to owner every time....
Whats wrong???

The real MacMicke™

Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2001, 12:59 PM

Since I have tried to get an answer to this topic before and not gotten one, I wonder. Doesnt any one have an answer or is it just not as interesting a question like "itune sux"?????
It makes me wonder if mac users are just a bunch complainers....
The real MacMicke™

Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2001, 02:16 PM

Hey Macmike! Just be a bit patient as 9.1 upgrades were released yesterday and most people do not have it yet, let alone there has not been time to test burn 9.1

Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2001, 05:43 AM

Well as i stated, I have adressed the problem before, with OS 9.0.4 and not only 9.1, in more threads with similiar problems. I just get frustrated over all negativism that is all over the forums. It seems we mac people arent such a happy bunch after all...

Just tried to provoke some sort of response.....

The real MacMicke™

Jan 11, 2001, 02:54 PM

I know this isn't terrible helpful, but I'll add a "me too" post. Perhaps this is a conflict with some third party software?

The only thing I have installed that I can think could *possibly* affect it is BeHierarchic... but my guess is it's MacOS 9.1

I've tried deleting the Desktop Pictures prefs, with no results. Anyone else have an idea? Has anyone emailed Apple about this and gotten a response yet?

-m

dhirsch
Jan 11, 2001, 05:52 PM

This is a known bug. Here is an excerpt from the Apple Support Disscussions Board moderator. (Find it at discussions.info.apple.com | MacOS | MultipleUsers | [any of 5 or 6 related topics in that group)

==excerpt follows===
  RE: Multiple Users: Preferences don't persist (message #5. - Dec. 14, 00 1:24 pm)
  by: Mac OS Forum Moderator  
  Apple is aware of reports that Mac OS 9's Multiple Users feature, when used with certain versions of Multiple Users/Macintosh Manager client software, may lead to a cosmetic issue where some Appearance control panel settings (such as the desktop picture or pattern) may inadvertently be replaced by a different user's preferred settings. Apple realizes that this cosmetic issue may not promote the feeling of a truly independent user environment.

Apple is investigating this issue. A solution is not currently available.

Damon
Apple Support Discussions

===end excerpt===

Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2001, 06:49 AM

Thank You!

At least thats an answer, now I know that I shouldnt try to solve the puzzle my self .....

MacMicke
The real MacMicke™

Forum Links
Forum Rules