Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iDVD work with DVD-RAM drive?

iDVD work with DVD-RAM drive?
Jan 10, 2001, 12:16 PM

Anyone heard if iDVD or DVD Studio Pro will work with the internal DVD-RAM drive that came with my G4????? I'm worried that they won't since the SuperDrive is 'DVD-R'. Is there a difference?

Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2001, 12:27 PM

I haven't heard anything solid on this, but since the only differences are the drive (simply driver issue) and the media (ditto), I'll bet that if the current iDVD doesn't work it would be easy to patch or add a plug-in.

Apple would be foolish to ignore the 1000s of DVD-RAM drives that they themselves sold within the past year. I could really use iDVD for my office-- with a type II DVD-RAM disc, I can suddenly put my entire agency reel as well as all of our print work onto a single DVD-- but I'm not going to spend nearly $4k on a new machine just for one app.

-p

Senior User
Jan 10, 2001, 01:33 PM

An there lies the flaw in the 'killer app' strategy. Much as people would like to have the capability to do this, they aren't going to buy a new machine just to get the new app.

If Apple could sell say a Firewire DVD-R drive (or one for my Pismo laptops expansion) and bundle the software it may have more success.

Forum Links
Forum Rules