Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes hang during launch?

iTunes hang during launch?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2001, 11:37 AM

I installed iTunes and everything SEEMED to go okay until I tried to launch the program which resulted in a couple of hard drive spins and then hangs with no option but to reboot. I am using an iMac DV SE running 9.04...any ideas?

Senior User
Jan 10, 2001, 12:32 PM

Up the ram a few megs, when I opened iTunes for the first time I got a MacsBug screen, force quitted out and got a Type 11 error (out of memory). I added then another 5 mb to the current perfered size of memory and it loaded fine

Jan 10, 2001, 02:16 PM

I'm having the same darn problem on my g4/400 at work. Ran just fine on my iBook though. I allocated more RAM but that didn't help on my g4. any ideas? I tried reinstalling it, I also upgraded to 9.1 which didn't help.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2001, 03:41 PM

I had the same problem and i turned out to be an extension conflict with my UMAX Astra1220 scanner.

Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2001, 04:20 PM

I do not have UMAX scanner but I do have the same launch problem. I haven't been able to make it work in OS 9. It does work in OS X under Classic.

Oddly enough, iTunes works GREAT in Classic on OS X.

I can't wait to get rid of OS 9. OS X doesn't have this extension conflict nonesense! Everything just works and works flawlessly. I can't get over how great X is.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2001, 12:04 AM

There's more to it than USB conflicts. I'm struggeling with diagnosing the extension conflict(s) on a PB2400c running OS9.0.4 with NO USB anything. I can get iTunes to run with the Basic OS9.04 extenstions plus a few very critical ones but not with my full compliment. If anyone else has found non USB extention conflicts I love to here it. - asxless

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2001, 01:14 AM

My iTunes hung on startup too, and (like van60gh above) mine was also apparently a conflict with my UMAX Astra 1220 (USB). Even after I disabled those drivers and unplugged the scanner, iTune's audio on my rev. A iMac was still skipping every couple of seconds, regardless of whether it was playing mp3's, radio, or CD's. But after opening Apple CD player to verify that that didn't skip, and after my control stip mysteriously disappeared, the skipping stopped.

Now it seems to work great... so long as I don't need to scan.

Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2001, 01:49 AM

I also had that problem, and after ages trying to figure out what was causing the problem, I narrowed it down to my UMAX 2200 scanner. It worked fine when the driver was uninstalled, but interestingly, it also works with the driver installed if I simply unplug the scanner from the USB hub it's attached to before launching the app. I can then hook the scanner back up again, it gets recognized immediately, and I have no problems afterward. I suspect the problem likely has to do with iTunes scanning the USB bus for an attached MP3 player on startup, and that for some reason, the scanner stops this process in its tracks.

It's a bit of an inconvenience, but it's really nice to be able to use the two at the same time if I want to.

spons
Jan 11, 2001, 04:45 PM

Just wanted to post my thanks to naepstn and others who posted here. I was having the same conflict, but with a UMAX Astra MX3 USB scanner. Problem solved. Like naepstn I'm able to disconnect my scanner, start iTunes and then plug it back in and have them both work

JJacob
Jan 11, 2001, 09:44 PM

Try turning off the SoundJam extension if you have.

Forum Links
Forum Rules