Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 904 "forgets" a lot, like printer/memory

904 "forgets" a lot, like printer/memory
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2000, 10:50 AM

hi,

Yesterday, I installed drivers for my hp 4500 colorlaserjet. Today it wouldn't print.
whatever i tried, like reinstallation of driver, it still wouldn't print despite the que I constantly updated.
in the end I reinstalled my powerbook g3 500 and reinstalled the driver. now it does print (it better would!). but for how long?

The other problem I have concerns the memory. before reinstallation of 9.0.4 I had a ramdisk of 100mb. Now after reinstallation I still have that same ramdisk and I cannot get rid of it.

any suggestions would be helpful.

micha
"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

Jackson
Jul 27, 2000, 11:06 AM

This has happened to me also (forgetting settings). My hotline and quicktime programs occasionally unregister themselves and I lose all my remote access settings about once a month. Cannot figure out why. Strangely enough when I trash the remote access prefs RA returns to normal.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2000, 08:14 PM

I had this happen about two weeks ago. It only started immediately after trying out Rapster beta 10. It continued after every restart (3 times!) until I removed everything Rapster related and went back to Macster. This is not a plug for any software, just what happened. I had to redo my settings for Internet CP, TCP/IP CP, Behierarchic, Audion, Stuffit Deluxe, and more. If anyone is also seeing a trend with Rapster beta 10, but not with the newer beta 11 (which wasn't out at the time…), please post. It has a lot of features that are not on Macster. Not that I may have much time to try it out...

Zarathustra
Jul 28, 2000, 03:34 AM

My mother was experiencing similar problems with her new iMac DV+ right out of the box. Zapping the PRAM (command-shift-P-R I think at startup), letting it chime a couple of times, then resetting the control panels seems to have solved her problem.

Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2000, 05:14 PM

so all ya gotta do is zap the PRAM <i>once</i>, and the problem is solved?? sweet, i sure hope you guys are right.
-LUAP
UND KEINE EIER

Wigwam
Jul 30, 2000, 08:45 PM

Yeah...my OS 9.0.4 kept doing this too...like the volume setting and stuff, I zapped the PRAM and most things went back to normal. You have to set all your PRAM-related settings back to what they were though...but that's a quick fix...

It continued to forget what timezone I was in (required by Eudora...) for a couple of days...but then that problem mysteriously went away again...

I'm really glad they rewrote the system from scratch with OS X, because this is getting silly....

I'm glad my *shrug* PC has even worse memory...it never seems to remember the internet password...even though I constantly tell it to remember it

Erik

Forum Links
Forum Rules