Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 8.6 X-lg screen sequence on G3

8.6 X-lg screen sequence on G3
Jul 29, 2000, 03:51 PM

Does this happen to anyone else? Did not occur with 8.5 but does when update to 8.6 used:

Sequence: Chime>gray monitor>black screen>gray screen with oversized happy mac>large screen with MAC OS 8.6>black>regular size MAC OS 8.6 starting up, then extensions load and all is normal.

This has happened both times I updated from my original 8.5 CD that came with my G3.

Also how are coupons used that come with computer? Can I use to get CD version of system 9 or are they only good through 8?

Thanks in advance for any help.

sweet1  (op)
Jul 29, 2000, 04:07 PM

To clarify previous post:
System is G3 B&W with OS 8.5.1

sweet1  (op)
Jul 29, 2000, 04:51 PM

Someone sent me an email so I thought I'd post here for others. If anyone knows of a fix please reply. From Apple Tech support dated 10/21/99:

"The resolution switching is normal behavior as outlined above. The gray desktop pattern
is cosmetic, and will not affect the performance of your system. Apple is investigating possible
solutions to this temporary loss of the desktop pattern during boot."

Administrator
Jul 29, 2000, 05:26 PM

In a recent OS version (8.something or other, don't recall exactly) Apple moved your monitor resolution settings out of the pram and into the preferences folder. It is now normal for recent Macs to begin at 640 x 480, and switch during startup to your preferred resolution.

That explains the extra-large graphics during the beginning of the boot sequence. Also, the momentary black screens while switching resolutions. Your boot description is accurate for my G4 with 9.0.4 so this is now normal.

I have yet to use the update coupons, and would like to know the answer myself. It sounds like either free stuff, or (more likely) discounts on later OS versions. I would be happy with either.

Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2000, 06:27 AM

It's a feature, not a bug. The display is stuck at 640 x 480 during startup regardless of what you set the resolution to.

This "feature" has been removed from Mac OS 9 and later.

Forum Links
Forum Rules