Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What is causing startup delay in 9.1

What is causing startup delay in 9.1
Senior User
Dec 13, 2001, 09:48 PM

This seems to have started recently, but am not sure. I have a 30-45 second delay at startup after the desktop is displayed and can't figure what's causing the delay. Did a search for the problem but could not find anything past march of 2000 and nothing helped. Any help would be great.

beige g3/384

You gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.

Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2001, 01:45 AM

I'm having a long delay in OS 9 startup, too, either when I boot into it from scratch or start it as Classic in OS X. Ever since I allowed OS 10.1 to add the "required system resources" to OS 9 the first time I launched classic, now it takes my 2001 iBook a whopping 7 or 8 minutes to finish starting up OS 9.

Just what OS X did to my OS 9 I don't know, but I sure want to find out.
Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2001, 01:53 AM

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Michael T. Doyle ]
Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 02:08 AM

try emptying the "servers" folder in your system folder. The OS is searching the network for these servers and if you aren't connected to them then it causes a delay.

idjeff  (op)
Senior User
Dec 15, 2001, 03:57 AM

There is nothing in the "Servers" folder. Can anyone think of anything else. Is it file sharing starting up? Ram check is deactivated. What else could it be?

You gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.

Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2001, 08:56 AM

File Sharing startup is normally pretty transparent; depends on your comp.
Web Sharing startup possibly.

But not BEFORE the desktop is displayed; considering it's after for you, that may well be it.

On a beige G3 I often work with, web sharing freezes the computer for about that long upon bootup... take a look at it.

Check out File Sharing too... turn them off and reboot.

Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2001, 01:30 PM

my guess is also file sharing. turn it off and I bet you startup much quicker.

Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2001, 05:08 PM

Did you try the obvious? Start up with extensions off, check for delay. Start up with base extensions-check for delay. Start up with base-all extensions, check for delay. Start up wi.....you get the idea?

Usually sometyhing to do with filesharing, appletalk, or network related.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2001, 05:54 PM

Try this because it worked for me. Download BeHierarchic via Version Tracker. Install it and make sure you disable the Apple Menu Options control panel. Restart. Voila! No more desktop delay.

For some reason I've had this startup delay on 9.1, 9.2.1, and 9.2.2. After extension troubleshooting, BeHierarchic was the only thing that fixed it. Unfortunately, I don't know why the Apple Menu Options control panel is doing this.

Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2001, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
<STRONG>Try this because it worked for me. Download BeHierarchic via Version Tracker. Install it and make sure you disable the Apple Menu Options control panel. Restart. Voila! No more desktop delay.

For some reason I've had this startup delay on 9.1, 9.2.1, and 9.2.2. After extension troubleshooting, BeHierarchic was the only thing that fixed it. Unfortunately, I don't know why the Apple Menu Options control panel is doing this.</STRONG>
Apple Menu Items is notoriously dodgy. Deleting the prefs would probably have fixed your problem. For some reason, the prefs are very easily corrupted.

Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2001, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by Spliff:
<STRONG>Try this because it worked for me. Download BeHierarchic via Version Tracker. Install it and make sure you disable the Apple Menu Options control panel. Restart. Voila! No more desktop delay.

For some reason I've had this startup delay on 9.1, 9.2.1, and 9.2.2. After extension troubleshooting, BeHierarchic was the only thing that fixed it. Unfortunately, I don't know why the Apple Menu Options control panel is doing this.</STRONG>
It'll do that if you you have a folder alias in it which goes relatively deep
Such as your HD...

I shoulda thought of that

Forum Links
Forum Rules