Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > set .html to open in either IE or NS depending on default browser setting?

set .html to open in either IE or NS depending on default browser setting?
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2000, 04:34 AM

Hi,

I'm making a CD with HTML files and I don't know which browser people will be using. how do i set the file type of my index.html file so that is simply opens the default browsers, either IE or NS?

Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2000, 06:33 AM

Well if they are on a Mac they should already have the default browser set in their Internet control panel.. also you could just tell them to drag the index.html or start.html file to their default browser which would do the same job.

Pring

Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2000, 07:59 AM

I messed around with file types and creators... I can't get it to open with the default app. I will try more later.
The best I could get was opening in either (easy, just set type to MOSS for netscape, or MSIE for explorer), or bring the dialog up to chose.
Depending on their system, it may automatically choose the app. However, even Word was listed to open it, so theres no telling what owuld open the files if they let the computer decide. Also, IE wasn't on the list...

Cipher13

gunnar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2000, 01:41 PM

That's as far as I got too. I was going to make an internet shortcut but that won't work on 8.1 will it?

Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2000, 02:27 PM

Do nothing, it will open in their default browser.

gunnar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2000, 02:33 PM

That logic makes sense but what creator do i set it as? Originally it is a BBEdit file so I have to change it so it doesn't auto-open in BBEdit

K.C. Lofty
Jul 31, 2000, 04:03 PM

If there is a creator code at all, then it will try to go to that application. If that application is not available, it will use the default application.

So, you need to strip off the creator code to make it use the default. The best way that i know of to do this is to put it online. The creator code lives in the resource fork, most servors remove the resource fork...so use fetch or anarchie or whatever to put it online, then pull it back offline and no more resource fork, or creator code..then it will go to the default browser.

There may be an easier way (save it on a PC, write it to an ISO disk) to strip off the creator code, but i dont know it.

HTH
K.C.

Forum Links
Forum Rules