Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Starwars Z movie playing problem ?

Starwars Z movie playing problem ?
xplora
Oct 15, 1999, 07:38 AM

Hi, can anybody tell me how i can play the Starwars 'The Phantom Menaca' Z movie i got from a friend of mine.
If i try to play it with quicktime or other cdi players it won't work.
I get sometimes following error:
The movie AVSEQ01.DAT cannot be played because of a---memory ...
I have a PM 7500 with apple 604e-200mhz processor, 88mb ram and mac os 8.6 ...

Forum Regular
Oct 17, 1999, 02:26 AM

I think you need to convert it from DAT to MPEG. I know windows has some utilities that do this (although I can't think of any of the names). Not sure if they are any Mac programs that can do so. Probably, I am just not to sure.

You might want to try the alt.binaries.mpeg newsgroups for more info

Hope this helps

------------------

Mario Alessi
Oct 19, 1999, 12:12 PM

Video CD Movies may be played using Apple Video Player. Also there is a program called VCD. Video CD's are MPEG-1 video streams.

------------------
Mario Alessi

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 1999, 08:04 PM

Not to throw a damper on your parade, but you should know that the Phantom Menace has not been released on VideoCD, leading to the obvious inference that you are in possession of a bootleg copy. Admitting to owing a bootleg copy on a website which has IP logging is probably not a good idea, not to mention that owing a bootleg movie is a bad bad thing especially in light of the fact that the Lucas juggernaut is particularly good at enforcing their copyright.

Forum Regular
Oct 28, 1999, 02:12 AM

After Ep1 came out a MPEG version could be found on the web which basically is a two part rip of a videotape of the movie from my understanding.

Also the VideoCD has been released overseas (illegally) just not here in the states.

Forum Links
Forum Rules