Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Multiple Users-No Password Screen at Startup

Multiple Users-No Password Screen at Startup
Aug 3, 2000, 03:22 PM
I have an iMac DV SE (OS 9.0.4) and use the Multiple Users feature to limit access by my kids. I updated to version 1.3 of Multiple Users Software using the Software Update control panel, and all was well for a while. Suddenly, the password screen no longer appears at startup. In addition, when I try to open the Mult. Users control panel, I do not get the window that allows me to adjust the user preferences. All I see is my desktop and a menu across the top of the screen, which only allows me to Quit. I have tried searching for previous posts on this subject. The only thing I could find was a suggestion to use TechTool Pro (which I currently don't have). Is there an easy way to reinstall a new copy of this control panel? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2000, 03:34 PM
try deleting the associated pref's file(s)? i have no need for this mult-users function, and so have never used it, but it is always a good idea to begin troubleshooting by deleting the offender's associated pref's file(s)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2000, 06:44 PM
Are you sure that nobody "accidently" disabled or deleted the Multiple-User File inside the root directory of your System Folder?
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...
Aug 4, 2000, 08:33 AM
Thank you for the suggestions. I trashed three items that were in my Preferences folder: Multi-User Prefs; Multiple-Users folder (a blank folder); and Multi-User Items folder (which contained all the previous user settings). After restarting, I was again able to access the Multiple Users control panel. Although I need to start from scratch in setting up the preferences for each user, it appears that I can now use the control panel again. Thanks again for the help.
Forum Links
Forum Rules