Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Missing System file...what happened?

Missing System file...what happened?
Senior User
Dec 19, 2001, 05:28 PM
I hope some one can help here. On one of my other PBs (a Lombard with OS8.1) has had the System folder dissappear.

The PB will not boot up and the Mac says that the System file is missing. I tried Norton Util disk to boot the PB up on and the System Folder has gone along with the mounted icons on the desk top gone too !!!
I haven't deleted anything or fiddled with anything/ or loaded new software etc, just tried to switch it on this afternoon. Things are backed up but I need to know what happened and should I expect it to happen again in the future?

Any advice much appreciated.

DNA man
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2001, 07:06 PM
Do you not have a hard drive icon on the desktop? I think if your regular files and folders aren't scattered about the desktop, that's because you've got a different desktop file mounting when you boot from the Norton CD. If you don't have a hard drive icon on the desktop, that means your drive's not mounting for some reason.

Does Norton Disk Doctor see the hard drive? If so, did you run Disk Doctor?

In lieu of Disk Warrior, it's probably your best bet, unless it's a mechanical problem with the drive.

Hopefully, if it's "just" corrupt directories, things should be restoreable, and you'll get back to normal.

Keep us posted,

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.
Forum Links
Forum Rules