Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can "bad" CSM bring down the system?

Can "bad" CSM bring down the system?
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2001, 01:13 AM

I know that there may be extension and control panel conflicts. What about control strip modules? Can they mess up the system and crash it?

I have installed a newer version of a Process Manager CSM and then all the problems started. Applications (IE, Eudora, etc.) crashing with type 2 and type 3 errors. Finder quit unexpectedly twice within an hour.

So I went back to the older version of PM (1.4.2). Everything is stable again. In general, my OS 9.2.2. is almost as stable as X.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2001, 01:44 AM

Anything can really; but... eh. It shouldn't.

Only when clicked or activated should it crash it, but during initialisation I'm sure it can wreak havoc.

So while it IS possible, I'd blame any associated control panels or extensions first. A good CSM is one that doesn't do sh!t till it's called on.

Senior User
Dec 24, 2001, 03:07 PM

both the G3Strip and G4Strip have rendered OS9 unstartable in classic for me. it may have been fixed in later OS9 and classic updates (or maybe G4Strip updates), but all in all, this means yes. it would freeze while loading, before i could call on it by clicking.

Senior User
Dec 24, 2001, 03:10 PM

edit: ew, my first double-post. stupid crappy AOL connection. yeah, yeah...

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: superlarry ]

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2001, 06:59 PM

I had a situation in 9.2.1 where the Control Strip was hogging 20-30% of CPU time when the Quicktime control strip was installed. Of course, there were other problems with 9.2.1 besides that which made me switch back to 9.1, but that was a biggie. The UMAX scanner control strip module (basically a lamp on/off switch) was pretty buggy, too.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Dec 25, 2001, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by wunderkind:
<STRONG>I know that there may be extension and control panel conflicts. What about control strip modules? Can they mess up the system and crash it?

I have installed a newer version of a Process Manager CSM and then all the problems started. Applications (IE, Eudora, etc.) crashing with type 2 and type 3 errors. Finder quit unexpectedly twice within an hour.

So I went back to the older version of PM (1.4.2). Everything is stable again. In general, my OS 9.2.2. is almost as stable as X.</STRONG>
I would say yes, its quite possible. CSM's are merely small programs, so there's no reason to think that they'd be any less susceptible for conflicts than any other program, especially one like this that is sitting around poking at the system and gauging its responses. Its odd to see it, but an always on module like this or the battery module would definately be in a position to cause some problems.
Woggle
'I will not be pushed, filed, indexed, stamped, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.'-- No. 6

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2001, 08:30 PM

I have to add that the Process Manager CSM (the latest version) which brought down my whole system works as an application switcher by placing small icons of all active applications in control strip. Therefore, it should be active most or all of the time and could actively interfer with the OS.

Thank you for all the replies!
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

Forum Links
Forum Rules