Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Automatic Software Update, what is it?

Automatic Software Update, what is it?
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2002, 07:32 PM
Well, I guess I know what it is, but here's what I experienced. Yesterday I noticed the thing about the automatic update to CarbonLib 1.5, so I decided to activate the software update control panel and extension (they had been in their respective "disabled" folders) and hit the updae button. After it downloaded a big file, I restarted and hoped to find CarbonLib updated to 1.5 (and hoped not to find my OS updated to 9.1, which I've heard is ASS from either from Cipher or Marks). Neither one were updated, which I thought was strange. So today I go looking and find a new folder (dated yesterday) in Application Support called Software Update. It contains two items- Apple Software Restore and the Installer Engine. What are these things and where is CarbonLib. I'm wary about installing this- will it update my OS to 9.1? Like I said, I've heard the web updates are rotten. I'm willing to take a chance, maybe, but only if there is an easy way to go back to 9.0.4. I bought a mac because i want an operating system, not a system i have to operate on.

Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2002, 12:27 AM
Apple Software Restore is a program which, when given a disk image, will exactly copy it's contents to a designated hard drive. Installer Engine acts like the Installer 4.0x program for Apple updates/installers provided up to 1997. The difference between Installer and Installer Engine is that Installer Engine runs only in the background, and can be controlled only with AppleScript.

Forum Links
Forum Rules