Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Rebuilding Desktop Taking Way Too Long, et al

Rebuilding Desktop Taking Way Too Long, et al
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2001, 11:04 AM

Here's the problem: My GF just rec'd a new Ti. She has only a few apps so far and has ripped about 4 CDs. I, on the other hand, have about 15 gig of stuff on my Ti. Despite the fact that she only has OS 9 and OS X on her computer so far, rebuilding her desktop would probably take an entire day to complete (but I don't have the patience to wait). Mine on the other hand flies (in a relative sense). Does anyone know why this would be?

I have also found that:

(1) When clicking on an mp3 file, I get the impression that something is "trying" to open, but then iTunes never opens and the song never plays. What's up w/ this?

(2) Her "scheduled start-up" command in the energy saver control panel failed to work. I know these problems are a bit diverse, but I was thinking that they may all be related. Any suggestions??? Thanks.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 11:14 AM

If you have about 250-300 megs space left on the drive, you can try making a clean installation of the system. Then see if the comp is still unresponsive. If it is, then that means its probably a harddrive/other hardware problem, which means that I couldn't help you any farther, unless you wanna try backing up the entire harddrive and initializing it, which is a little extreme.

Forum Links
Forum Rules